Problem with a purchased ("NIB" ???) Sig Sauer P230SL-

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by caveman60, Oct 17, 2012.

1. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

The first thing I noticed on this "NEW" gun; You could NOT remove the magazine. I removed the grips and noticed right away, what the problem was. Between the time this pistol reached the shores of the "Good old USA" and my hands, someone "not too savy with guns"- to say the least !!! removed the grips (for unknown reasons) and when they re-installed those grips, did not use the MUCH NEEDED washers. Now the screws were too long and gripped the magazine.

Now to my real problem:
    I've been working on my guns for 50+ years (cleaning and replacing parts) and never came across a problem of this nature. If anyone has, please advise:

I've found that the feed ramp on the frame does NOT meet the feed ramp on the barrel "flush". There is a slight "lip" between the two, with the barrel ramp being slightly higher. This has caused a few rounds to hang-up, just before entering the chamber. If anyone has had this problem, did you correct it yourself? (And exactly HOW did you do it ????)

Thank you for any input you can give me.
    Have a great day... T
  2. Goody

Goody Member

I would return the product for replacement or repair.
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

adjust the mags so the round jumps to the barrel ramp. The blend problem between the frame and barrel can only be fixed by altering one of the two voiding the warranty and sig does not see it as an issue.
  4. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Did you purchase the Sig from a dealer? If so, I'd return it for replacement or factory servicing. What with the grip and feed ramp issues I can't help but wonder whether someone was switching out parts. At any rate, anything you do on your own to rectify the problem will more than likely void the warranty - even the missing grip washers (assuming you haven't replaced them) would be enough to raise an eyebrow at Sig. That said, I'd return it for replacement or warranty servicing.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

What you want is for the feed ramp in the frame to end before the ramp in the barrel starts. That is the way all 1911's are suppose to be and as John Browning intended. There is no gun more reliable than the 1911 that is now over a 100 years old. While the two ramps being flush is OK it is better the way 1911's are done as any looseness does not expose a lip for the cartridge bullet, case, or rim to catch on.

What you apparently have is the opposite. That is wrong as it leaves a lip for the cartridge to catch on. Send the gun back to SIG. It is definitely wrong.

If you bought it off the used market (but "new-in-the-box") then have a gunsmith fix the ramp in the barrel to match the frame (as I explained above). Be sure he does not cut the ramp's front edge into the chamber any more than it already is as that will make the cartridge case unsupported and could lead to case blowouts. Just steepen the barrel ramp until its bottom edge is just in front of the frame ramp by about some very small amount. That way the cartridge will jump down to the barrel ramp from the frame ramp with no exposed edge of the barrel ramp to catch on.

LDBennett
  6. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

Hello to Mr. Nmckenzie,
    Yes, I purchased the gun from a dealer. And, yes, I have replaced the washers. Sending it back for "repair" or "replacement" is not an option for me. I've spent "too many hours" looking for this "beautiful artwork" and will not part with it. There's no way Sig. would replace it and as far as repairing it, I checked and found out exactly what Mr. Helix FR (thank you Mr. Helix, for your input.) stated; Sig does NOT see MY problem as anything to be concerned about. So, I'm going to get out my old dremel, take the gun apart (remove the barrel, to work on the "lip") and "try", very carefully, to remove said "lip". What I really need to know is: What type of compound will remove a "small amount" of stainless steel, without being too abrasive???
    Thank you for any input... T
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

There is really no buffing compounds that will take steel down the way your looking for. i have compounds that will cut steel for refinishing reasons but none of them really grind. dremel makes a small sanding drum. this one is about 3/16th dont get the half inch one. use the sanding drum to finish the ramp down then finish up with some 400 grit sandpaper and use your fingers. then you can use the polishing compounds if you like. id still adjust the mags. they seem to be feeding low in the ramp anyway.
  8. fuzebox40

fuzebox40 Active Member

Some time ago I found good instructions on the web, via google search, for tuning up a 1911 in the same manner . It was basicaly just as Helix said, but included one or two other areas of the mechanism for fine tuning. It was a bit more detailed but in anycase my project ended up perfect. The most valuable factor, as allways, is the human doing the work.
    Sorry I don't still have the link but I think you've got what need here. Good luck.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  9. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

Hello again Helix FR,
    What exactly do you mean by, "adjusting the mags"?? Adjusting in what way? I read one of your posts a while ago, when you mentioned this adjustment. You asked me to adjust the mags so the round "jumps" to the barrel ramp. How do I do this?
    Please explain fully... Thank you for your input... T
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  10. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

Another question... There are two pins holding the barrel in place. Should I remove the inner one first, or remove them both together? I have the correct size punches for both pins.
    Thanks again, for all the input.... T
  11. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Brand new gun? There is no excuse, send it back.
    Just saw a show about Sig's on Gun Nuts, and they said they pride themselves with Quality!
  12. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

Just an update: Stripped gun down... Removed pins holding the barrel in place... (That was the hardest part of the take-down) Knocked out barrel with a plastic mallet (pressed in there, pretty tight - very careful, not to hurt barrel crown)... dremeled down a very small portion of SS... Feels good now... No "lip", to speak of... Going to the range today and try it out???

Question: Where to purchase those pins, that hold the barrel in place? (would like some on hand.) Thank you for any input... Have a great day... T
  13. CloserangeReaper

CloserangeReaper New Member

When you contacted Sig, did you speak to a customer service manager, or just a rep? I've cussed numerous sales reps out and now just come on the phone and ask for a service manager or gunsmith. They usually answer my questions with little trouble and don't give me the "we don't do that here" bs that I get from the customer service reps if I were to ask them.

Just letting you know for future repairs or remedies. Sig is good people. Fixed a few guns for me in the past.
  14. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

Hello to Helix FR,
    I found that the "green" colored rubbing compound worked great on the stainless steel. Took about 1/2 hr. using the green and 15min. using the red. (Being VERY careful, in the process.) The weather has been so bad, I haven't been to the club, since my last post. Hope to get there today?
    Question for anyone: What different size roll pin punches would I need to completely tear-down this P230? Thank you for any advise on this matter... Have a Great Day !!! T
  15. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Home Depot carries a 3 piece punch set made by dasco. the 1/8th inch or the middle size one fits the double pin in the slide very well and the pins in the slide. The punch must cover the pin face. All to often ill get a gun with a punch broke off inside the roll pin which makes them very difficult to remove. If you drive the pin out the firing pin will drop out along with the firing pin safety so make sure you know how it is oriented in the slide before you drive the pins out.
  16. caveman60

caveman60 New Member

Back to you, Helix_ FR,
    Thank you for your reply and cautions... Took the gun to the club yesterday... Fantastic !!!!!! (ALL my thanks, goes to a Gentleman on another forum - His instructions were very clear and very easy to follow.) It's a different gun... Shot 4 different types of ammo and they went into the chamber like silk. I'm glad, at that moment, I happened to be the only one on the firing line, because I was almost jumping up and down !!!! Have a great day... T