Problem with accuracy when using less than 150 grains

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by wpshooter, Aug 5, 2012.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I was talking to my nieces' husband this evening about various firearm and hunting topics and he related to me that on his muzzleloader (which I believe he said was a Thompson Omega) he could just not seem to get it to sight in correctly unless he used 150 grains of propellent.

He said that he is using the preformed pellets and that when he first tried to get the gun sighted in, that no matter how much he adjusted the elevation on his scope, the impact of his shots were always EXTREMELY low on the target, i.e. below the point of aim. This was when he was using only 2 pellets, i.e. 100 grains.

He said that subsequently he attempted shooting at the same target at the same distance BUT with 3 pellets, i.e. 150 grains and after adjusting the scope to the proper setting, the gun placed the shots at the correct vertical position on target.

So my question is, is it mandatory on some of the newer 150 grain rated muzzleloaders to use 150 grains of propellent in order for them to get correct shot placement ?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

what distance was he shooting at? 100 gn will not shoot as far as 150 gn, as the propellant charge drops, so does the distance the bullet can travel and remain accurate.
  3. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

He was shooting at fairly short distance (50 yards or under) just for sight-in purposes.

With 100 grains he could not get rifle to hit point of aim even after adjusting scope as high as it would go. But as soon as he switched to 150 grains, he could then adjust the scope to proper vertical setting and have bullet hit at point of aim.

Thanks.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    first off,what grain bullet is he shooting.i have seen some scopes that may need to shim the frount mount.i use the plastic from a anti freeze jug but any thin material will work.as i said before he may want to use a different bullet or different weight.the other end of the stick is if you weigh the pellets you will find they are not real consistant.i now use only loose powder 777.i get better accuracy that way. old semperfi
  5. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think 150 grain is pretty hot. I know it would be in my gun.
  6. kempnerkaos

kempnerkaos New Member

When shooting for sighting and target purposes,A lower grain count will give you better accuracy...More is not always better.. I use 80 grains for sighting on my Thompson .50 cal Grey hawk Percussion Rifle at 100 feet and hit dead on consistantly.I get A pattern with round balls of about 2.5 to 3 inches with 6 shots,most will be touching the red on the bullseye.Lower Grain count will give you the accuracy you need with round balls other than increasing the load.