Problem with magazine insertion/lockup on FNX-9

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by wpshooter, Oct 16, 2011.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

On the attached review of the FNX-9 the reviewer points out what he considers a problem with the fact that you have to push forward on the back/bottom of the magazine on the FNX-9 model pistol in order to have the magazine properly locked into the magazine well (points out that just pushing the magazine directly straight upwards into the magazine well will not lock it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Vuab3CvSE

Have you ran across this "problem" and if so, would it affect your decision to possibly purchase this model of this FN pistol ?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont like it. It would be fine for a range gun, but a carry gun should lock positively into place with minimal upward force. None of that up and forward kungfu crap.
  3. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Do you think that the FNP-9 would be a better choice for a self defense weapon even though it does not have all of the little bell & whistle improvements that they have incorporated into the newer FNX model ?

And yes, I know that some may not consider a 9mm a good SD weapon.

Thanks.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I dont particularly care for the FNH weapons. but IMO, the FNP 9mm is a better choice simply because the mag locks positively with upward push.

The 9mm is more than adequate for SD, I carry a CZ75 from time to time. The bullet will do its job no matter what size it is or how big the hollow point cavity is if the shooter can put the metal in the meat where it matters most.
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I think the FN's are fine but they just are not for me. The intent that FN had on their mags was insertion with the slide open. It goes way smoother that way.