problem with my glock 17 sight picture.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by The Count, Nov 16, 2010.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

i got a bunch of guns so some dont get used too often, like my glock 17. i participated in an action pistol shooting yesterday and i was absolutely terrible. (and i am not the worst shot, i managed to get the NRA pistol license). i was always way low.... so half the time i didnt even hit paper! how embarrasing! so today i went to the range with a bench rest and was determined to find out how i, or the gun, screwed up.

it came down to this (all at 10 yards). this is the sight picture i was using, and this is what is shown in the glock manual:

[​IMG]

however, i would be low every time (at least 5 to 10 inches). in order to hit with anything resembling consistency i had to modify the sight picture to that the front sight's circle would have to 'stick out on top' of the rear sight's U and then have the point of impact right over the front sight.

is this normal? other glocks have the same issue?
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

it sounds like to me you have a rear sight that is too low. my glock shoots point of aim at 25 yards. glock makes several heights of rear sights. you need a higher one.
  3. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i hope i can explain to you how to use the sight picture.the way the sights are now if you held to center of target bullseye you should hit center,if the gun is shooting to point of aim.i dont know if you have adjustable sights or not.if not you may want to use a shorter frount sight if you want to use the sight picture in the manual.there are two different ways to set sights on a rifle or pistol.you can adjust sights so the bullet impact is slightly above sight picture that way you can keep in sight the target your shooting at.the other way is to set sight picture so the bullet impacts slightly below line of sight and target is covered by frount sight.i know this is confusing and if you were here i could easily show you.i hope someone else can explain better than i can. old semperfi
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the pic you have up is what they call a target hold. you hold the sights in alignment at the bottom of the target and the bullets hit the center.

point of aim hold is where the bullets hit exactly where the sights are held.

if you're holding just like the picture shows and your bullets are hitting lower then the point where your sights are aimed at then you need a taller rear or lower front. but if you're holding as shown and the bullets hit exactly where the sights are instead of the center of the target then you're fine. just aim at the center.

only for a target gun do most people prefer the target alignment
  5. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Every Glock I have had has pretty much split the front sight. Where the edge of the frontsight is on the target is exactly where it hits. My XD9 on the other hand has a 6 o clock sight picture. I been shooting Glocks so long it is hard to get used to. I do not like a target pistol POI compared to a combat pistols POA/POI.

Your Glock sounds like it is just fine. It is not a target pistol or toy. Its a tool and most people who use them for what they are made for prefer the combat sight picture......