Problem With My Laptop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by raven818, Jun 22, 2012.

1. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I turned on mu laptop a while ago. Instead of seeing Starting Windows, it said Resuming Windows.

I had this problem while it was still under warranty. I contacted Dell. The tech had me remove the battery...hold down the On-Off button for 10 seconds, replace the battery, and everything was fine.

I've done the same 3 times today, don't work.

All I get is the Resuming Windows message, and it just sits there with a blank screen and windows does not start. The techs method worked then, won't now.:confused:

When I originally spoke to him, and he gave me the instructions, I don't remember if he had me unplug it first or not.

It's out of warranty, and I'm at a loss of what to do next. I know if I call them, they will charge me a $49.00 fee just for talking to them, even if it doesn't fix the issue.

Any and all advice will be tried. Thx.
  2. raven818

Right now, the battery is out, and unplugged.
  3. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

What version of Windows, I'm guessing 7?
  4. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Do you have an emergency startup disc?

Can you hit F11 ASAP when you turn it on and go to last safe start?

How old is your laptop, O/S, etc?
  5. raven818

Win 7. The PC was purchased new 12/10.
  6. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

sounds like you are sleeping or hibernating it vs shutting it down.

I can tell you that APM is still buggy all these decades later. try regular shut downs once you get it started.

if no bios message remove amem chip and restart.. the bios checksum error should force a regular startup sequence..
  7. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I did that once by accident but it shows the half moon symbol by the other symbols like power, battery, etc.
  8. raven818

I put the back up disk in it I made when I got it. Doesn't do anything. The light from the screen comes on, no OS, just sits there. F-11 does nothing.

I shut it down like I always have. No difference last night.
  9. raven818

That was my first thought the first time it happened, prior to calling the tech. If that's the case, it seems to be stuck in that mode w/o reason.
  10. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Most mfgrs have a free chat site, can you get on there and chat with some DELL techs?
  11. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

One of the many reasons I don't own a laptop or buy Dell products any more. Sounds like you got a lot further than I ever did with tech support.

I've had MANY issues with Dell computers, laptops in particular.

I would suggest buying a new battery. I'm not electronics savvy by any stretch, but batteries seem to have issues unto themselves.

Just a thought.
  12. raven818

I've never ran it on battery alone. I have 4 Dells. One laptop and three desktops. Never had any issues at all, til now.

I guess a Dell battery has to come from Dell? No guarantee that will be the problem. :(
  13. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

I'll agree with that, Michael Dell wanted to be #1, he did it but service and QC suffered.

NOW DELL tech support:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/ProductSelector
  14. shorter260513

shorter260513 New Member

I would purchase the restore disks sounds like you have a issue with the os get the restore disks and start from scratch
  15. raven818

I'm on the phone now with MS..
  16. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Why does it have to come from Dell? It's out of warranty.

I'm sure there're a lot of people that make a battery for it. Just make sure the specs are the same.

I won't guarantee it will fix the problem either. But it's the 1st thing I'd do.

Like I said, I'm ignorant on these issues. I do know that batteries have lives. How you use them reflects on thier lifespan. Some like to be fully discharged before charging or they build up a memory. A slow death in the end. Batteries have a shelf life as well.

When yer laptop is plugged in to ac, does it bypass the battery? Or does it pass through the battery?

Manufacturers don't like telling you this stuff cuz they want you to upgrade to a newer model. I believe they call it planned obsolesence.

Good luck my friend.
  17. FlashBang

FlashBang Member

Pull the battery, unplug power from it as well, let it sit to drain power down.... connect power cord/supply and power on laptop.... interrupt it while it is booting and go into BIOS. Disable hibernate on laptop screen close and anywhere else it is. Save settings and reboot.
  18. raven818

expensive..betch ya.
  19. raven818

I'm back on my laptop ( fingers crossed ).
    I took the F-12 option when it came up. At that point, it took the backup disk I made. :) Sooo many times, with sooo many computers, I've never made a boot disk. I'm so glad I did this time. :D

It loaded the disk, and asked me to choose one of the several options. The top option was highlighted ' fix windows start up problems'. Duh.

It instantly said to turn PC off...
    I turned it back on, and .... bingo, back up and running. Now, I'm scared to turn it off. :eek:

Anywho, thanks to all who offered. Most appreciative of the VERY fast replies.

BTW, two techs at MS wound up hanging up on me.
  20. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Good, I had to look it up for myself, been awhile since I've done it on my ThinkPad:

Dell's F12 key is meant for troubleshooting purposes. its their built in tech support. if you call them for any other issue they have you boot to F12 and run you through the wizard.

I guess that's what you did.