Problem with ramrod being to SHORT on CVA Optima rifle

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by wpshooter, Oct 12, 2012.

1. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

I am having a problem with the CVA Optima rifle that I just purchased.

I am only wanting to use 90 grains of 777 for my charge - loose powder.

When I volume measure out 90 grains of 777 and then pour it into the barrel and then when I attempt to tamp the 777 with the ramrod that came with the rifle, the ramrod is not long enough to reach the 90 grains of powder.

It's as if when CVA designed this rifle that they did not take into account that some people might want to use less than the maximum 150 grains of powder that the rifle is designed to be able to shoot.

Once I take my trusty LONG shotgun cleaning rod and tamp the powder, and then use the rifle's ramrod to send the Powerbelt 245 grain bullet down the barrel, then the ramrod IS then just barely long enough to seat the bullet on top of the powder charge. In other words, if I was to use 150 grains of powder which would bring the top of the powder charge further up the barrel, then I would not have the problem of the ramrod being too short.

And let me note that I am not exactly new to loading muzzleloaders. I have previously been using a Thompson Black Diamond Extended Range 50 caliber and I did NOT have this too short ramrod to tamp the powder on a 90 grain charge on that rifle. The Thompson black diamond is a great shooting rifle (most likely better than the CVA that I purchased) but it is just a real bear to get the breach plug out and back in the rifle for cleaning and disassembling and cleaning the bolt area of the rifle is not exactly like falling off of a log either.

Thus, I purchased the CVA Optima "breakdown" type rifle due to its easy of cleaning - which it definitely is much easier than the Black Diamond.

Has anyone else encountered this problem on the CVA of the ramrod being too short ?

If so, how did you resolve the problem ?

Thanks.
  2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I hated that mine wasn't long enough to run a patch through without pushing it the rest of the way with my bullet starter. I was talking to the owner of my LGS and he ordered me an adjustable length rod. It works great.
  3. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Wouldn't an adjustable length rod mean that you either had to carry an extra piece to add & remove from the rod around with you all the time or just leave the extra length / piece of the rod attached to the main part of the rod and have it sticking out beyond the end of the barrel of your rifle all of the time ?

Or when you say adjustable length rod, do you mean one that can actually have the length adjusted / telescoped without taking an add-on piece on & off of the main rod ?

Thanks for your reply.
  4. dcriner

dcriner Member

I always use a steel range rod, not the rod that comes with a muzzle loader, which I consider more or less decorative and fragile. When shooting, I remove the original ramrod - otherwise the end will get fouled with powder residue.
  5. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

How does this help me with my problem of the ramrod that came with my rifle being too short to tamp a smallish "90 grain" powder charge ?

Thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

makes me $30 every time ...

that what i sell proper length rods for ..

sad eh , the guns fine , stupid design flaw and the idiots wont fix it so folks be panning the whole thing..
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Hey wpshooter , i'll send you one PM me the current length and i'll add 4" and send ya one made outta stringy bark sapling , cured then emu oiled , then oven dried at 130f for a couple days and oiled again (Linseed) and set to dry

used your own ends and save me sending bits that cost

stringybark is more flexible than iron bark but gives a good sound when the charge and ball are sound packed

premium BP ramrod timber .. way better than willow
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  8. dcriner

dcriner Member

You buy a steel range rod of whatever length you need.
  9. howlnmad

It is telescopic nothing to add on. It's the right length for loading and to run a patch down, just unscrew it and it extends using very wide threads.
  10. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

I never tamp just the powder, and none of the shooters that I know do it either. Pretty much all of us pour the powder down the muzzle, tap the butt on the ground or other solid object, then load whatever projectile we might be using and tamp a couple of times when the bullet hits the powder and stops.
  11. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Thanks, do you happen to know the vendor that sells the telescoping ramrod ?
  12. howlnmad

No, it didn't come with any packaging nor does it have any markings but the next time I am there I will try to remember to ask.
  13. howlnmad

Check this out and see if it will help, it's not the one I have but did a quick search on google. http://www.rossiusa.com/accessories-ram.cfm
  14. wpshooter

wpshooter Member

Thanks, Howlnmad.

Yes, I already came across that one. I am just wondering if these other brands of ramrods would fit properly in my CVA Optima ??? I know that it would probably go into the forearm channel but I wouldn't want it to be too loose and be rattling all over the place or be so tight that I would have a difficult time getting it out of the gun. These channels are probably "supposed to be" about the same size on different brands of guns but my guess is that there are minor differences in the channel size from brand to brand.

Let me know if you come up with the brand of rod that you got for your rifle.

Thanks.
  15. 01brian

01brian New Member

I've got a cva and the ram rod unscrews and is tellescopic. I'll post up a picture tomorrow. maybe just see if the wolf ramrod fits in the optima rifle?
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012