problem with springfield

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 9, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/18/03 9:45:59 pm)
    problem with Springfield
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A good friend of mine brought home his new Springfield Compact Loaded .45 the other day. He went out and shot it and at 25 yards it is 3 to 4 feet low and throws a huge (2 ft)pattern. He is going to try some different ammo and see what happens. It does not have adjustable sights.

I told him to give the ammo a try for the hell of it, and that he will probably have to make Springfield fix it.

Any opinions?

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Edited by: warpig883 at: 2/18/03 9:48:44 pm

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/19/03 7:50:21 am)
    Reply Re: problem with Springfield
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WP, How good a pistol shot is your friend ? Did you shoot the pistol ?
    A compact .45 usually won't perform well at 25 yds due to the short sight radius. Also, the problem could be due to a flinch. Watch the guy shoot. Have him move to within 10 yds of the target and see if things tighten up.

Try different ammo.
    Get a pistol shooter of known ability to shoot the Springfield.

Try all the above before sending the pistol back.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/19/03 8:41:45 am)
    Yeah.....what Shooter says.

Also, try it from a sandbag rest....and take careful aim between shots.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/19/03 9:27:50 am)
    Re: problem with Springfield
    Yeah....yup...uh huh...and so on. I have a Springfield Ultra Compact that shoots pretty well for me at 25yds...short sight radius or not!...But, of course, I am an exceptional shot!!!

Anyway, try all that stuff. SA "most often" produces handguns that shott pretty good right out of the box. There are always lemons, but chances are it is due to one of the aforementioned causes.
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum*
    Progenitor of the Boomatic Plague

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/19/03 9:42:38 am)
    Yeah, an ole Boomatic iz such a good shot, he can evun hit the side uv a barn ifn hez standin inside it wit all da doorz klosed.

Hi Ya, Boomer - Jest had ta tickle ya a bit. Have missed our "conversations" of late.

Catch U later

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/19/03 2:14:33 pm)
    Now I ain't never shot no barn unless it was vexin' me!

They tricky, them barn's...most a the time they just sit there and act like they ain't nothin' goin' on. But they watch you all the time, they do. Then when ya least expect it, like when I'm sittin' around relaxin', havin' a little corn licker, they up start inta teasin' ya, and weavin' around.

THAT is when I sumtimes shoots at 'em. I admit, I don't always get 'em. But I am here to tell you I have taught a lesson or two to more'n one sneaky rat bastard barn!
    Boom-a-tic

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/19/03 10:15:56 pm)
    removed my embelishments since bigboom338 is here to tell it first hand

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Edited by: warpig883 at: 2/22/03 9:16:50 am

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/20/03 6:42:36 pm)
    Hey piggy,
    I forgot that we were talking to you on this one. If he is a good shooter and the ammo is decent, it may be the SA...like I said...there are lemons in every make!
    Boom-a-tic

bigboom338
    (2/21/03 1:03:04 pm)
    FYI, this is my SA we are talking about and the prob is not the shooter. The thing is hitting 1 foot low and 6 inches left at 25 yrds I moved up to 10 yrds and cut those figures in half, is this something I could fix by filing on the dovetails on the sights or should I let SA take care of it?

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/21/03 1:15:29 pm)
    HeyBB38...welcome to TFF!!

If it is new, I would definitely let SA take care of it. You can void warranty by doing nearly anything to it. You will, of course, be without it for awhile, but they will be responsible. I mean, heck, you bought a SA over say a Daly or something because they are supposed to be of superior quality, right?

I would call them up, explain that you are an experienced shooter and that the thing shoots WAAAAAAy low. They will take care of it, I am sure.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Boom-a-tic

shooter45 us
    *TFF Chief Of Staff*
    (2/21/03 3:13:50 pm)
    Welcome to TFF.

I would suggest sending the pistol back to Springfield.

blowsomethingup
    (2/23/03 10:34:50 pm)
    just picked up my first 1911 a1 pistol.
    1999 sa loaded pistol in blue finish.
    the absolute best shooting 45 acp I have ever shot.
    under 1 inch groups at 25 yds,the gun is very tight.
    had a heck of a time field stripping it the first time,but I'm a pro now.
    it is not a new pistol,but hasn't been shot very much,not a scratch on it,couldn't pass it up for $500.
    most pistols need a few hundred rounds through it to break it in,and I wouldnt even consider returning it until I had at least 1000 rounds through it with different ammo to be sure of any problems.
    I was at the range shooting my taurus pt945 when I purchased the sa,and my reloads shot fantastic,not one failure in the 200 rounds I put through it the first night.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/23/03 11:12:26 pm)
    Under 1" @ 25 yds?

I'll never know if mine can do that 'cause I can't shoot that good!...maybe with a ransom.....
    Boom-a-tic

bigboom338
    (2/25/03 3:12:43 am)
    FYI, SA emailed me and told me to send the gun back and they will replace the sights.
    "Aim small miss small"

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/25/03 8:03:32 am)
    Thanks for the update. Let us know how it all turns out, please.
  2. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

UPDATE

Well after 6 weeks I finally got my pistol back, Springfield did a good job with my gun and now it hits where I point it.They put new sights on both ends and sent me the range target ,I am now a happy camper.Just wish that they would have cleaned it up a little before sending it home. Oh well that gives me something to do on this rainy day.;)
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Glad the problem was corrected.
  4. warpig

warpig Guest

Yep, I can verify she is a shooter. Kind of got me to thinking I need one myself. Me and BB338 put several boxes of rounds down range yesterday:)
  5. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

that's certainly good news BigBoom338, thanks for the update!