Problem with Taurus 1911 .38 super

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by dsv424, Dec 15, 2009.

1. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I just purchased this gun and last night I took it to the range for the first time. It shot very well and has good accuracy, however I am having a problem with it chambering the last round. For some reason the slide remains open like you fired the last round in the clip but there is 1 bullet left. So I have to pull the slide back a little more and chamber the final round. I'm using the 2- 9 round clips that came with the gun and they both do the same thing. I even tried just loading 5 rounds in the clip and it still holds the slide back with one bullet left to shoot. Has anyone experienced this before?
  2. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Well, unfortunately its not that because all new guns I get are dis-assembled and cleaned and lubed before I shoot them.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i re-read your post and now understand the nature of your problem. on the second to last shot the slide locks open. correct?

i would say the best thing is to call taurus and complain. i would ask them to send me a new slide stop to make sure it isnt that. if i had to wager, the slide stop is being bumped by the nose of the cartridge. but why does it do it so consistently? weird indeed.

does it do it every single time? or does it just happen occasionally but always on the second to last round?
    ~john
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

dsv424:

If you load two rounds in the magazine and insert the mag in the gun then release the slide, the first round should load into the chamber. Now pull the slide to extract and eject that round from the chamber. As you allow the slide to move forward again does it lock open or does that last round feed out of the magazine?

If the slide locks back with the last round still in the magazine it is a mechanical problem of either the slide lock protrusion that touches the follower in the magazine or the follower of the magazine is shaped wrong (too high or ?).

If the gun feeds that last round manually OK then it may be that the magazine spring is not strong enough to keep the rounds and follower from surging during firing. Either replace the mag spring with a better one from Wolff or stretch the one you have to make it a bit longer.

The slide lock in a 1911 is not spring loaded. It is in the slide rails of the frame and the recoiling slide pushes it down out of the way with every shot. The only time it can go up to stop the slide is when the slide is at its most rearward point and it must be driven up by a flat spot on the magazine follower and the mag spring. When a 1911 fires, the rounds tend to surge up and down in the magazine and if the spring can not control that surging that could be causing the slide to lock back. If the slide lock protrusion that touches the mag follower is too long of the flat spot on the magazine follower mis-shaped then the slide could lock back before the last round is fed into the chamber.

I think this will give you the information to isolate the problem. Do these tests at the range since you will be using live ammo. Be sure to point the gun down range during the testing. Be safe!

LDBennett
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I just want to add 1 thing to what LD said. I don't know if this is a problem with the 38 super but it was an occasional problem with the 45's. The Slide lock protrusion that sits over the mag and is in contact with the follower when the mag is empty has been know in the past to be cut slightly too long. What happens then is the last round when rebounding upwards sometimes catches the slide lock just enough to push up on it. I don't know what the tolerances are on the Taurus model but it just might be enough to catch. This was a overall design problem and not just isolated to 1 manufacturer. The way Taurus has been lately with some of their fitting and assembly this may also be an issue. Don't fret though, Taurus still makes a nice gun they just been having some slight issues.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

"Adjustments" to any gun are not unusually. The less expensive the gun the more opportunities to have to do an "adjustment".

I would not send it back to Taurus. The shipping costs, the delay, and the fact it may come back exactly the same are possibilities with any factory repair operation. Some are worse than others and Taurus of late seems to get a lot of comments on this site and others about their service.

LDBennett
  7. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Didnt we just have this problem a while back and the guy fixed it by stretching the mag springs out a little? I cant remember am getting to friggin old I guess. Also I dont have any experiance with taurus so dont trust me.
  8. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

Thx for all the advise guys. When I get home tonight I'll let ya know what I find. This is my first Taurus 1911 and I was looking for one that shoots .38 super. I wanted to get the Colt but that was $970.00. I really should have got the Para-Ordnance($800.00) but I was beginning to hear a lot of good stuff about Taurus lately and it was 200 less than the Para. Oh well, bottom line is its a nice looking gun and barring this little hick-up it has performed very well with the first 100 rounds I put through it.
  9. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

LD, I tried what you suggested and the gun did chamber the second round, so I then went ahead and stretched the Mag spring. Hopefully I will be able to get to the range tonight to try it out. Thanks for the tip.:)
  10. dsv424

dsv424 New Member

I finally got a chance to try out the Magazines since stretching the springs and unfortunately it didn't correct the problem. I then decided it had to be something with the slide stop. So I took the the slide stop from my Springer Loaded and installed it in the Taurus and low and behold it worked! After closely comparing the two slide stops I noticed that the Springer slide stop had a deeper cut groove on the part that contacts the Mag. follower. Is this something that I can file to match the groove in the Springer one? Or should I get a replacement from Taurus. Has anyone dealt with Taurus before and would I have to send in the entire gun to get this resolved? Thx for any info regarding this. BTW the black slide stop is the Springer in the pics.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]