Problem with the Remington Model 700

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ~kev~, Oct 10, 2008.

1. ~kev~

~kev~ New Member

Perhaps someone here can give me some advice?

I have a Remington Model 700 mountain rifle chambered in 280 / 7mm express, the rifle is about 12 years old. Up until last year, the rifle shot great. I was able to make 3/4 - 1 inch groups at 100 yards. For hunting east Texas whitetail deer at 75 - 100 yards that kind of group is fine with me.

Last year the rifle started shooting strange. One round would hit almost 2 feet to the right, the next round would hit almost 2 feet high. It was if the rifle was shooting in a circle. Some of the advice I was told "your scope rings are loose, tighten them up" - so I made sure the scope rings were tight, which they were.

Then I went out and bought a new scope. Its only a $100 bushnell, but the rifle is still shooting about 2 feet off at 100 yards.

I do not know what else to try. So far I have shot 2 boxes of ammo trying to get the rifle sighted in, and it keeps hitting about 2 feet (24 inches) off. One shot hits usually to the right and then the next round hits straight up.

For 10 years this rifle has shot straight and narrow. During that time my rifle and I have taken about a dozen deer. Last year a round hit high and cut the deers spine, dropping it in its tracks. Instead taking the chance of wounding a deer, I have to get this problem fixed.

One thing I should mention, the stock looks like it has warped. over the years. When the rifle was new, the barrel was floated - to the point where you could slide a dollar bill between the barrel and the stock. But now, the barrel is touching the stock on the left hand side.

Until the problem is resolved, I will have to use a Marlin 336 in 30-30 - which is a fine rifle by its own standing.

Any suggestions?????
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

That warped stock is the cause of your wandering zero. I've had that happen on every Remington I've ever owned.

My solution to the problem has been to glass-bed the action and free-float the barrel.
    Usually, the slender Mountain Rifle barrels like a little bit of tip pressure on em to be consistent but you could try it free-floated.

The stock is going to continue warping too. Another solution, especially if it's an all-weather hunting rifle, would be to restock it in synthetic.
  3. ~kev~

~kev~ New Member

I am thinking of just buying a synthetic stock and going that route. The nearest gun smith is about a 30 minute drive from me, and after that its about an hour and 15 minute drive. I would have to figure the drive time, plus the gun smiths fee to do the glass bedding. Or just go get a new stock.

In the mountain rifle series, remington shaved extra metal off the barrel to make the rifle lighter - I wonder if this made the barrel more prone to pressure from the stock? With having less metal on the barrel, it would take less pressure from the warping stock to change the impact point?
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Another thing to check before you spend the money on a new stock...
    Are the screws that hold the action to the stock tight or have they worked loose?
    The rifle didn't take a tumble last year did it? Not necessarily that the barrel would've bent, but the wood in the stock where the action seats can get distorted or crunched out of place during a tumble. (This problem would be fixable by glass bedding the action)
    These two are worth checking. but I would still suspect the wood itself is warping.

Yeah, the slender barrel on the Mountain Rifle is much more susceptible to stock pressure than a standard or varmint weight barrel would be.

I have worked with several light-weight rifles (Remington MRs and/or Model7s, and Ruger 77 ULs) that had been free-floated and the accuracy went completely out the window. They needed a small contact patch between stock and barrel near the forward end of the forend to stabilize the barrel. This is called tip-bedding...I suspect your factory stock also has this small bedding patch in the barrel channel.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.