Problem With Winchester Model 255 .22 Magnum

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

mwbates
    (1/23/03 12:09:26 am)
    Reply Problem With Winchester Model 255 .22 Magnum
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a Winchester Model 255 .22 Magnum Lever Action Standard Rifle. I don't think there were a lot of them produced since parts and information seems to be hard to find. The problem is, when the 12 shot magazine is fully loaded it won't properly eject the first 5 or 6 shells, however, the last 5 or 6 eject properly. It seems that on the first 5 or 6, the next round to be chambered raises up from the magazine area too high and is getting in the way of the shell being ejected. Apparently this problem is not occurring with the last 5 or 6 rounds. I'm not sure if there is a part mis-aligned or if the magazine tube spring is putting too much pressure on the first 5 or 6 rounds or if something else is wrong. It does fine with about 6 rounds in the magazine, and I can use it that way but I would just like to get it working properly because it was a relative's who has now passed away. Can anyone give me any advice on how to resolve this problem or on this gun in general (i.e., is this a common problem, were these guns unreliable, etc.) or can anyone recommend a gunsmith in the Huntsville, Alabama area that might be able to fix this problem. Thanks in advance.

mwbates@hotmail.com

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/23/03 10:09:18 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Problem With Winchester Model 255 .22 Magnum
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That's one of them deals we'd have to see in action. Might be the trigger plate assembly has developed some slop in the receiver.