problems installing thumb safety

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by 44stevenson, Jan 13, 2011.

1. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

I just tore down my Springfield 1911-a1 mil spec to put a new trigger in, and that is all i changed. This was my first time taking one of these 1911's all the way down. I have everything re-installed on the lower but I cannot get the thumb safety to go back in. It looks and feel as if the thumb safety is getting hung up on the side of the leaf spring. Can anyone help me with this. By the way this is the factory piece.
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

First make sure you are not against the plunger. Press the safety in at the half way position while pushing against the plunger with a widget or paper clip.
  3. xpertz1

xpertz1 New Member

Leave the grip safety out and try and insert the thumb safety while looking in thru the opening. You might be running into the side of the sear if the disconnector, sear, hammer relationship is not right.

My guess is the sear is not in the correct position. Try re-installing everything again.
  4. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

i know its not hitting the plunger, I'm trying to install it without the plunger for the least amonut of resistance. I'm pretty sure its hitting the side of the leaf spring.
  5. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

make sure the hammer is cocked. insert or remove the safety with the hammer down
  6. 44stevenson

44stevenson New Member

I've made sure the hammer was cocked all the way
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

like said before cock the hammer, insert the thumb safety with it in the half way position. Not full down, not full up. as your pushing it in rotate it up and down slightly to clear the sear . Now that you got it in, try with the plunger.
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

The spring shouldn't be in place yet. Remove it and try again.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

trigger may need to be fit to the track, if the trigger is holding the sear/disconnector back, even if its just a few thousandths, the safety wont go in because its hitting the sear... If the trigger is fit good and sliding freely the length of the track and sitting flush at the rear where the sear spring 'rests' on it, then the safety should pop right in. Also might make sure the sear legs are behind the disconnector and not in front where they sit on the trigger bow, this will also cause problems fitting everything back together... The factory sear/disconnector and safety will fit back together properly if the trigger is fit properly...