1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

problems reloading for 40 S&W?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by .308 shooter, Apr 28, 2009.

1. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

I just purchased a Beretta 96D at a gun show. Got it used for what I think was a pretty good deal. As I was looking for ammo, I came across some mixed brass (500 for $18) - I didn't buy it (and feel stupid for it :mad:) because someone else there said they had problems reloading for it. They said the cases seem to crimp towards the base and cause a slight hairline crack when sizing. - It sort of scared me off from buying the brass at that point.

Has anyone had this problem with this caliper? Any help is appreciated.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have reloaded literally 1000s of .40 caliber brass and have not problems at all. That fellow must have been doing something wrong. To be honest I don't know what he means when he says that the cases seem to crimp towards the base.
  3. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

That was my initial thought too... I asked him what press he was using and he was using both the Lee and Dillon. I'm just upset I didn't get the brass..... that was a great deal. Oh well, maybe next time.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Some times places like Dillon and other large reloading sources offer once fired brass for common calibers like your 40S&W. It can be process or unprocessed, mixed or all one head stamp. Also try the local ranges.

Brass destroyed during reloading is more often than not due to mistakes in setting up the dies. Crimp dies are the worst. You got to get it right... Start with a light crimp first then increase it, not the other way around. The Lee Factory Crimp die is the easiest way to get it right without ever damaging the brass. It is also easier if you use any separate crimp die from the seater die.

LDBennett
  5. 3ME

3ME New Member

The only problem I have ever had loading .40 S&W using a Dillon 650 is that occasionally, a 9mm case will find its way into the .40's and it is the perfect size to fit inside a .40 case. It will pass right through the case feeder and if you don't notice it, when the handle goes down, CRUNCH, scratch another decap pin. Same is true with .40's which fit perfectly inside a .45 ACP. That is more my fault for not inspecting the cases better and not a design problem.
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

If i had to guess i think this guy had his dies installed incorrectly.

Here ya go, all the brass you want (40's)
    http://www.cheyennebrass.com/once_fired.asp
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  7. .308 shooter

.308 shooter New Member

Thanks guys.... There's another gunshow this weekend and I'm going back to get the dies and the brass. Anyone have any suggestions on a good powder. I know each gun has it's own recipe it likes, but as with any good recipe..... you start with it and make it your own. A few good options would be a good to starting point.

LD....... I've heard the LEE dies were inferior in design as compared to RCBS, Hornady or others. Is this not the case?
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

.308 shooter:

I have RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Forester, Dillon, and Lee dies. The Lee dies are the only ones that have rusted on me over a 20 year period.

My opinion, and others vocally disagree, is that Lee uses inferior materials in their products. They make the design and choose the materials so that the products meets a price and offers no extended life. The rest of the industry tends to over design their products and use superior or more than adequate materials, for the most part.

Again, that's my opinion and you can take it or leave it. When I buy new die sets I choose RCBS. But I do buy the Lee Factory Crimp dies and sometimes buy the Collet Neck Sizing dies, even though they both have given me trouble with the parts galling against each other, requiring repairs by stoning the working surfaces, repeatedly. Those two Lee product design concepts are revolutionary and the concepts work amazingly well, regardless that they suffer durability problems for me.

So you choose.... price or durability, or so my opinion goes.

LDBennett