Problems with 30-06

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbach, Dec 2, 2011.

1. dbach

dbach Member

Couldn't have been a RCBS problem. Looks like it was all user created problems. All is well now.
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

HXP isnt machine gun ammo. Its greek imported by the CMP and distributed for use in the M1 Garand primarily.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have been shooting HXP for years and have been reloading it just as long. The primer is kind of "staked" in with three little "tabs" and is very easy to remove, I use my little $3.00 LEE chamfer tool and it does a fine job.
  4. medalguy

medalguy Member

Just FYI, all .30-06 ammo is designed to be fired in any kind of .30 cal weapon, either rifle or MG. There's absolutely no difference in the types of ammo made at any time. The specs are the same, and it was common for troops in the field to take MG ammo and delink it to fire in the Garand.

It's true some MGs do have oversized chambers, so they are less likely to jam if a little dirt gets in the chamber and prevents the case from seating completely in the chamber. Also allows ammo that's got slight damage from handling to chamber. The last thing a gunner wants is a jam in an aircraft in a dogfight, or a MG on the ground in the face of a frontal attack. However, this brass is easily resized by any good die and it will reload just fine. I reload almost exclusively USGI brass and much prefer it over commercial brass. HXP is excellent brass and is usually considered as good as, or better than, USGI brass.
  5. langenc

langenc Member

Also lube the Inside of the case mouth so the expander ball dont stretch the neck on the way out. That is a sneeky way of causing heavy bolt closings.

Get a Wilson case gage and check each case after sizing. The wilson gage is nothing more than a portable rifle chamber. You can do the same thing by checking in the gun after sizing. It will also tell you how your case length is doing. Watch ebay for one. I have for most all calibers I load.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Do NOT use regular case lube to lube the inside of the case neck. The correct lube is a moly lube like the dry moly from NECO:

http://www.neconos.com/category/Reloading-Aids-16
    (bottom of page)

It is a small can of steel balls that you plunge the neck of the case into and they transfer a dry moly lube to the inside of the case neck.

LDBennett