Problems with 30-06

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by dbach, Dec 2, 2011.

1. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I also had a shellholder that was tall. When the dies made contact with the shellholder you were still too far away from the bottom of the case to effect a FL size. Look at your shellholders as well because that is what indexes the dies.
  2. dave98

dave98 New Member

I have used and reloaded Greek 30-06. I have found it to be o.k. brass but nothing special. The case neck thickness would vary more than say Lake City brass. As loaded it would group about 3" or so at 100 yards from a scoped Rem.700.
    As for your hard closing bolt look at the primers. My guess is yes you seated them but they are sticking up just a little. Stand your loaded cartridges on a flat surface and see if the wobble.
    If you plan on reloading surplus ammo I would invest in a primer pocket reamer to resize the primer pocket and eliminate the crimp. You only have to do it once to a case.
  3. medalguy

medalguy Member

4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The best case gage you can buy is the rifle the ammo is intended for. After sizing a test piece of brass, trim it, and then try it in the chamber of the gun you intend to use it in.

The sized and trimmed case should drop into the chamber. If it stops part way the body may not be getting sized enough because the sizing die is set up wrong in the press. If it is only a hard closing bolt on this test case the case shoulder may be in the wrong place and that again means the sizing die is not in the press correctly. But... This test case MUST BE trimmed as a too long of a case can also cause hard bolt closure as the end of the case runs into the end of the case's part of the chamber.

Primer seating could also cause hard bolt closures. The primer has a star shaped anvil in it whose three legs are suppose to seat against the bottom for the primer pocket. With a hand priming tool you can feel the anvil do that. But if you use the press to seat the primers you can be sure the primer is seated correctly if the primer's cup is below the case surface by several thousandths of an inch. You can feel that with a pass over the primer with a finger tip.

Military ammo once fired cases have the primer crimped in. In order to full seat new primers in those cases you have to remove the crimped surfaces around the edge of the primer pocket. You can physically remove brass with either a special tool made by RCBS or you can use a common counter sink. Another way is to swage the crimp material back into the case with another special RCBS tool in your press. When you fail to remove the crimp, primers often fail to full seat correctly which can lead to hang fires and failures to fire or messed up primers as they attempt to seat into the primer pocket. This can also make bolt closure hard or not even possible in some cases.

LDBennett
  5. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

One thing I've seen is that milsurp ammo can be set up to be fired in machine guns. Usually it's made with the shoulder set forward a little to prevent chambering in rifles (sometimes it's loaded hotter too). Machine guns often have adjustable headspace & can spit out brass with the shoulders too far forward wheather the brass started long or not. Sounds like you're setting the shoulders back whatever the cause was.

Hopefully it wasn't those cheap crappy can't trust 'em for nothin RCBS dies:D:D:D
  6. dbach

dbach Member

Couldn't have been a RCBS problem. Looks like it was all user created problems. All is well now.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

HXP isnt machine gun ammo. Its greek imported by the CMP and distributed for use in the M1 Garand primarily.
  8. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have been shooting HXP for years and have been reloading it just as long. The primer is kind of "staked" in with three little "tabs" and is very easy to remove, I use my little $3.00 LEE chamfer tool and it does a fine job.
  9. medalguy

medalguy Member

Just FYI, all .30-06 ammo is designed to be fired in any kind of .30 cal weapon, either rifle or MG. There's absolutely no difference in the types of ammo made at any time. The specs are the same, and it was common for troops in the field to take MG ammo and delink it to fire in the Garand.

It's true some MGs do have oversized chambers, so they are less likely to jam if a little dirt gets in the chamber and prevents the case from seating completely in the chamber. Also allows ammo that's got slight damage from handling to chamber. The last thing a gunner wants is a jam in an aircraft in a dogfight, or a MG on the ground in the face of a frontal attack. However, this brass is easily resized by any good die and it will reload just fine. I reload almost exclusively USGI brass and much prefer it over commercial brass. HXP is excellent brass and is usually considered as good as, or better than, USGI brass.
  10. langenc

langenc Member

Also lube the Inside of the case mouth so the expander ball dont stretch the neck on the way out. That is a sneeky way of causing heavy bolt closings.

Get a Wilson case gage and check each case after sizing. The wilson gage is nothing more than a portable rifle chamber. You can do the same thing by checking in the gun after sizing. It will also tell you how your case length is doing. Watch ebay for one. I have for most all calibers I load.
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Do NOT use regular case lube to lube the inside of the case neck. The correct lube is a moly lube like the dry moly from NECO:

http://www.neconos.com/category/Reloading-Aids-16
    (bottom of page)

It is a small can of steel balls that you plunge the neck of the case into and they transfer a dry moly lube to the inside of the case neck.

LDBennett