Problems with .45 APC cases after loading plz help!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by flarooster42, Feb 18, 2012.

1. flarooster42

flarooster42 New Member

Im having a problem with the ,45 APC reloads. After I load them they are over size at the last 8th inch of the case and wont seat in the chamber. I have tried sizing the case so my sizing die is all the way down but it just doesnt seem to size the case that last little bit. Does anyone have any sugestions? I also reload .380, 9mm, 38, .40 and 357 and dont have any problems with them.
  2. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Just a guess and I am really not sure but a similar thing happened to me a long time ago when I bought some used brass for my 30-06 at a gun store. Turned out the brass came from loads fired in a machine gun and due to the larger chamber of the machine gun, the brass stretched out considerably more than if fired from a bolt gun. Is there any chance you purchased used brass?

Neverhome
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Aint reloading for a Glock by chance are you? sounds to me like glock bulge.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Rooster that is not an uncommon problem and most resizing dies won't catch that last little bit. At the suggestion of others here at TFF I picked up Lee Fractory Crimp Dies for the calibers I load and it has a sizing ring in it that will take that bulge out. I now seat only with my old seat/crimp die and then run the loaded cases through the Lee FCD to provide the needed crimp and a final check on sizing. Lee also makes a "bulge buster die" but I have no experience with them.

http://http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=Lee+Factory+Crimp+Die+.45+auto
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Josh, fill in my blank spots. I thought the Glock .40 S&W was the only one of the Glocks that suffered the Glock bulge. My 9mm doesn't look like it is unsupported but that is the only Glock I have or probably ever will.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The CAT45 will bulge the case badly too. Also just to be sure, your reloading brass right? Steel case never sizes out correctly
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have seen glock bulge on all the different glock chamberings. the .40 S&W is one of the worst. The 9s seem to do OK because theres more steel there due to the smaller chamber, but they do still bulge. The .45 usually dont bulge as bad as the .40s because they are lower pressure rounds. +ps will bulge out like .40s. Its just the nature of the plaztik beast. i hate em.

The Lee bulge buster is a case thru sizer die that works exactly like a cast bullet sizing die. you set a case on the mandrel and push it up thru the die to remove the bulge, then resize and reload as normal.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I got my learning in for the evening.
  9. flarooster42

flarooster42 New Member

Thank you everybody for your advise! The brass is from a wepons manufacturer (once fired). and it could have very well of been fired in a machine gun.
    Thank you Todd51 I will try that lee die and see if it helps.
    And yes Helix HR all my cases are brass but I bet someone out there has tried reloading steel LMAO! You guys are great thank you so much for the help.I dont know why I didnt think of this sooner!
  10. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

Is it possible you are roll crimping? If so; then you may have an over-crimp. You can determine this easily enough by taking one of the rounds that do not fit and run it partway into your f/l sizer with the decapper assembly removed. Then check in your chamber. Just a thought. I've never had a single problem with any .45 acp brass I've picked up and a lot of it is shot from Glocks. I load with a SDB.
  11. Conman

Conman Member

I see the problem!!

You are shooting .45 ACP

And you are attempting to reload .45 APC

Must be different brass altogether!:rolleyes:;)
  12. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Unless he purchased a specialty die, the 45 ACP is designed with a taper crimp.

I'd take the advice of a Lee FCD.
  13. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I have a set of standard RCBS dies that are roll crimp. Probably 20 years old though. I would still check the crimp.
  14. mikld

mikld Active Member

Silly question, but did you measure them? Bullets hitting the rifling or a bit too large for the chamber will appear as too large for the "last 1/8th inch"...

Personally, I don't use a Lee FCD, 'cause I believe if your dies are adjusted correctly, you won't have any chambering probs. How many millions of .45 ACP were reloaded and shot before Lee came out with their post loading sizing die?
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  15. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

I agree with what others have said here.

Get a factory crimp die for it and make that your last step

I had that same thing happen with about 5% of my 45 acp reloads not fitting all the way in my Glock 30 chamber

I ran them all through the factory crimp die and now they all chamber in both my glock and my springfield XD