problems With Missing Tools

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocketman1, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Anyone else have problems with tools disappearing?

My framing hammer went missing for several months. It isn’t like me to misplace tools, and I looked high and low for it. I’m always willing to lend my tools to a friend or neighbor, but I couldn’t remember lending it to any one, and my friends and neighbors always return things. If they didn’t return things they wouldn’t be my friends and neighbors for long, Ha! I thought maybe my stepson might have it because he never returns things, but he said he never borrowed it. Got me kind of upset, because it was an older Stanley that I had for years. I got even more upset this past summer when I tried to drive a big nail with a 12oz hammer. Well today it showed up in the most unlikely spot.

My wife hasn’t been feeling well the last few days, so I have been doing all the cooking, which I don’t normally do. I was looking through the kitchen drawers for a spatula, and low and behold there was my framing hammer.

Now just how in the heck did my framing hammer end up in a kitchen drawer? I asked the wife if she knew how my framing hammer ended up there, and she said that she needed one for cooking, and since I had four or five hammers she didn’t think I would miss it.

I decided to leave it at that, and never bothered asking what she used it for. Maybe when she’s feeling better I’ll ask her to explain, anyone have any ideas?
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Meat tenderizer? Then again maybe she wanted to be a framer. Could be. :D
  3. 01brian

01brian New Member

Heh heh...makes a fellow wonder!! my wife said she used them to break up frozen meat
  4. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

You know that makes sense, I bet thats it, because I know she has a meat tenderizer.
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Hey Darrell at least you have your wife to blame. No one here but me and I am still looking for my coffee cup that has been missing for over a years. It only gets worse as you get older. My floor jack has been gone for two years but I see it often in my neighbor's garage so I know where to get it if I really need it.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey Todd, you haven't seen my large adjustable wrench have you? :D
  7. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

I've got it. I was using it to adjust those binoculars I found. LOL

I have an assortment of tools at home and every one knows to leave them alone or at least put them back. my good stuff I keep at work though.

I did find my propane torch on top of the drier once though. now that is an interesting place to find it. as it turns out the wife was using it for baking a ham and just put it there out of the way when she was done. 3 more steps and it would have been back in the garage on the bench where it's supposed to be:mad:
  8. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

I had a tackle box disappear from my shop a couple years ago and then it showed up again right in front of the door about 3 months later. Still havent figured out who did that yet.
  9. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

Start engraving all your tools. (tell your wife that)

Seriously I engrave everything right down to every socket, engrave where it's hard to see and harder to ever grind off.

But a framing hammer in the kitchen, hmmmm, take out any big insurance policies lately? :rolleyes:
  10. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

I'm with mjp...ever sit at the breakfast table, drinking your coffee, loading eggs in with one hand while absorbed in the sports section...with your back to the kitchen?
  11. glens67

glens67 Well-Known Member

Ya engrave every tool. Worked for Chevron USA Richmond Refinery as a Machinist For 27 years, Field Mechanic most of the time. Worked on the big stuff. Older Mechanic told me not to mark my tools as questions would arise if found in closed machinery. Did have one socket returned after 2 years in the Machine Shop's Caustic Pit....
  12. wolfdog

wolfdog Member

I hae been turning wrenches for a living for 30 years. I engrave everything, but I lose more tools now then I did when I was younger.
  13. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My son has been losing my tools since he was 3 years old. He is 22 now.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I seem to have a simular problem. But in my case, for some reason, the tools I buy all have legs on them, and they like to wander around. They turn up in places that you wouldn't believe! Got to looking for a hammer that got lost once. Found it in the freezer! I know it was my brother, but he denies it!
  15. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

Ya aint gona want to believe this. This sounds like a dirty movie in the making. The old lady had a boyfriend over one day fixing up the joint and the "husband" finds the hammer in the kitchen drawer where the boyfriend last hammered his nails. So the "husband" confronts his old lady about the hammer being in the drawer and wants to know why its in there. She picks up the phone and calles the BF and he comes over and the 3 of them have cookies and tea.

There you go the next romance on the bookshelves.
  16. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Active Member

maybe to break ice?
  17. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Active Member

I once found my wife using one of my expensive wood chisels to pry open a can of paint. She's my ex-wife now!
  18. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I have that problem way more at work than at home.

We eventually instituted a "don't put it away" rule. After you use a tool, it always goes onto this one steel table. Then our maintenance coordinator puts it away. Now things don't go missing because they've been "put away" where they don't belong.
  19. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

Women have a much different view on tools than men. Most think that an expensive culinary knife suffices as a Leatherman Multi-Tool (my wife included). :D
  20. Slabsides

Slabsides New Member

In my experience, the fastest way to locate a lost tool is to buy another one. You will magically stumble across the old one shortly after.:D