proceedure of removing old barrel from 1906 Winchester .22 pump action?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by giro, Feb 26, 2012.

1. giro

giro New Member

Hi, first time here. Hope i got it right.

I am trying to find a site that explains the proceedure of removing the old existing barrel from a 1906 Winchester .22 pump action & replacing it with a new, probably hex one from Numrich. Its not a collectable.

I believe hex barrels are sold in the US, then taking it to a gunsmith & geting it checked over for safety before testing at the range. Can anyone advise me further please? Perhaps a site or two?
    -Giro, NZ
    geast@kol.co.nz
  2. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever Member

It just unscrews. Oh btw, it is very tight. You need to make aluminum jaws that clamp around the barrel with two thru bolts. A pair of flat jaws that clamp in vice to hold receiver. If you secure everything tight enough, a simple tap with sledge hammer on barrel clamp will pop it loose. Sounds simple enough? I hope the bluing is already gone, because you will leave superficial marks that usually damages the finish.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

"It just unscrews." Famous last words with those old .22's.

I would suggest that a better way would be to have the barrel lined, a very pratical proposition with a .22 and one which would retain the original barrel.

Jim
  4. giro

giro New Member

Thanks to you both for advice. Yeah bluing is of no importance here.
    Actually, the barrel may have been used while under water or something similar. Several bulges there so a re-sleeve is out I'm presuming.
    I'll drill out some alloy & make sure there's a tight grip for removal.
    Very grateful for that. - giro.
  5. Bobthedog

Bobthedog New Member

Hi there. My first post.

I know this thread is long dead but, just on the off chance some googles the topic...

If you strip the receiver out so you're left simply with the barrel and frame, then put it in the freezer for a day or two. Use the aluminium jaws and clamp it really tightly in the vice and use a large adjustable wrench with linen padding it will usually undo pretty easily. You need the barrel to be completely cold and the frame will warm up just fast enough. Don't bother freezing the receiver when you reassemble as it makes enough difference to be noticeable if you freeze the barrel right down.

Whilst it's all stripped out, take the time to strip the bolt out as well. The pins are prone to serious fouling.
  6. giro

giro New Member

Yeah, longdead but then I still havent bought a new barrel :( Thanks for that tip; I'll save it.
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

you could sleeve it. The pilots on the reaming drills are long enough to work through them wo moving off course.
  8. Bobthedog

Bobthedog New Member

This is the problem I am sorting. I'm just going to bore a .310 chamber and sleeve just that. The current chamber is .235 and badly burned. The owner wants it rechambered as it just cracks the brass and won't extract.

Yeah, no kidding!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  9. giro

giro New Member

"you could sleeve it." Sleeve the entire .22 barrel? Is that possible?
  10. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

This is the real fix.....It will renew the chamber as well. And, when done I have seen them shoot as well as a as new original rifle. It's the iron sights that make this a sure thing. It will shoot better than the owner can do with the original sights.

Not hard to do with the kit sold by Brownel's that includes the bit for boring the I.D.. Not all that expensive either, especially if you already have the drill, and just need the liners. Solder or epoxy in place when done..

Regards, Kirk
  11. Max Donovan

Max Donovan Member

The original barrel was an octogan. I think a hexigon would look kind of funny. Max
  12. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Active Member

I have done this to about half dozen old guns,, also one of my own,, it shoots like brand new,,, new liners are cheap and a very easy to install or have a gunsmith do it for you,, can make an 'old gun' like new if it is something you wish to save.
  13. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

In a copy of the IPB (Illustrated Parts Breakdown) the barrel is shown with a threaded shank so you will need a barrel vise and an action wrench to remove or install a barrel on this gun.