processed alot of 30-30 brass last night

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by soundguy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

been raining the last 2 days. last night sat down and finished up that bag of 30-30 brass I was given.. perhaps 350 cases in all. tossed about 10 of them. fl resized all of them. spot checked by batches and all are now chambering in my picky savage 340 bolt gun. some had some pretty nast primer pockets.. used my lyman tool set with uniformer on it and cleaned em up.. got em polished and then trimmed. man it takes a while to trim 350 pieces! did some spot checks with case gauge set.. all looks good. got them bagged up by batch as there were a few different headstamps and some of them appear to have been fired more than once, so am keeping the ones that look more fired in their own batch to observe them a lil more.. etc.

primed up a bag of 50 in prep for some relaoding and outside fun if the reain stops long enough this weekend.

need to set down like this and clean up the rest of my 30-06 brass.. have a bag with crimped primers I need to decap and ream the pocket. that'l take some time as well.. :)

was a good night last night!
  2. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Man 350 cases, thats a lot of trimming. I only have a manual rcbs trimmer, and i know i would have quit after 100 even if it was raining and i didn't have nothing else to do.
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I have to stop at 50
  4. soundguy

i have that same manual rcbs trimmer :) my right arm is near twice the size of my left now.. kind of like a fiddler crab. I could probably crush hickory nuts with that hand right now.. ;) ;)

and yes.. yes.. it was alot of trimming... glad it's done!.. at least 30-30 is done. now to 308, then 270, and then 30-06 ... ho hum... might have to find a way to hookup a darn drill or something,...
  5. soundguy

hmm.. shellholder... drillpress.. and a precision stop. hmm. hmm... :)
  6. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Well at least you are caught up for a few years, unless someone gives you a bunch more. I think i would of have to of turned the trimmer around and start using my other arm just to balance things out some. you may have the record for one sitting timming 350 cs. manually.
  7. soundguy

a few times I did stand up and stood sideways and used my left hand just to give the right one a time to circulate some blood.

whew... that was a marathon... I got some other cases to process.. and I'm debating on whether to do marathons in settings and just 'bite the bullet' so to speak.. and get all mu surpluss brass processed so I will be ready to go when I got time to set and load.. or.. just work up a few as needed. :)

it's a head scratcher. If I do more setings.. i WILL swap the trimmer around.

I have it mounted on a board that spans a small table.. the latches ont he board that grab the table will work either side. so I COULD swap it so the left arm doesn't miss all the fun.
  8. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

Went down that road too mant times in the past. Several years back I bought a Lyman power trimmer and never regretted that decision. With a carbide cutter it goes through brass like a warm knife through butter, doing a hundred + per hour is no sweat at all with this excellent piece of machinery. Holding tolerances of +/- .001" is easy also, very important if your putting a roll crimp on anything you're reloading.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  9. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This is one way that I trim brass. Doing it this way I can go for a long time. It's a great way to go.

Attached Files:

10. bobski

bobski Former Guest

mount it on a block of wood, mount the block of wood to a vertical piece of wood, drop the vertical piece of wood that now looks like a T with a trimmer on it in a bench vise. trim away. tired arm? flip it around in the vise.
  11. soundguy

i think I may do the drill thing. i have a corded and cordless.. for sure looks like the cheap way to do it.

trimmer is already mounted on a piece of wood, so I got options..