Product recall!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrkirker, Feb 19, 2009.

1. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I understand that this is a Firearm Forum, but I also understand that we have a few bow-hunters, as well. Or maybe, you might know a bow-hunter, either way, pass the word if you know of someone who pulls 'the string'.

NEWS from CPSC
    U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
    Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    February 18, 2009
    Release #09-132 Firm's Recall Hotline: (888) 689-1289
    CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
    CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Compound Bows Recalled by BowTech Archery; Bow Can Unexpectedly Break Apart
    WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: “The General” Compound Bows

Units: About 8,000

Manufacturer: BowTech Archery, of Eugene, Ore.

Hazard: The ends of the bow’s limbs can unexpectedly break during use and send fragments of the bow in the direction of the user or bystanders, posing a risk of injury.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received 255 reports of the bow’s limbs breaking, including 11 reports of lacerations, abrasions, or contusions when pieces from the breaking bow struck the user.

Description: This recall involves the “The General” compound bows hunting and target models with draw weights of 60 and 70 pounds that do not have a collet (see illustration below) in the limb. The bows measure about 31 inches long and have draw lengths of 26-30 inches. Hunting models were sold in real tree and mossy oak camouflage patterns. Target models were sold in gray, black, and wood-grain. The bows have laminated wood grips engraved with the word “BowTech” and a label with “The General” on the center pivot point of the bottom limb.

Sold at: Authorized BowTech Dealers nationwide from September 2007 through July 2008 for about $800.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled bows and contact their dealer to schedule a free repair.

Consumer Contact: For more information, contact BowTech Archery at (888) 689-1289 anytime or visit the company’s Web site at www.bowtecharchery.com

---
  2. noslolo

noslolo New Member

Thanks for the post I will pass this on to my local bow hunters.
  3. flaminjo

flaminjo New Member

i am passing it on to my my company and friends!
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The local paper reported a DEATH from the failure of a compound bow. Of course, the brand and specific details were not presented but it was a failure as stated in the recall except the guy DIED!

LDBennett
  5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

LD,
    I'd bet that if the death was firearms related, the FULL details would be provided! Manufactuer, Calibre, and type (if a self-loader, probably incorrectly listed as an 'automatic'). :mad: