1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

progressive insurance ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wv hillbilly, Dec 8, 2012.

1. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

what is the thing they call the snapshot? what is it for?
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I checked into this one because I was curious also, even though there is no way on EARTH I would spend money at this liberal outfit.

The snapshot is a device that you plug into the diagnostics port of your car, and it monitors several things about your driving, such as number and frequency of hard braking situations, time of day (or night) that you drive, how far you drive, vehicle speed, etc. It communicates this information to the insurance company, and they adjust your premium accordingly. After six months of monitoring, they take the device back and lock in your premium based upon that period.

Allstate has a similar device called Drive Wise, but they only have it available in IL, where Progressive offers the Snapshot in 30 states.

More big-brother BS, if you ask me.
  3. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Soon to be used by all insurance companies.:bleh:
  4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Black boxes have been in cars for years.

5. wv hillbilly

thanks for the info.
    i thought that is what it might be.
    i dont need nothing like that
  6. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

and starting with any car/light truck made in 2012 it is part of the required vehicle stability control system.
    I actually have a device similar that I use for intermittent problems with customer's cars.
    the technology is not new. it has been in cars since 1996. with a full featured scan tool I can look at freeze frame/failure records and look at all kinds of data. "so I see that 2851 miles ago you were driving 82mph with 74% throttle angle, 81* ambient temp, and 198* coolant temp when it set the MAF voltage low code"
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Anybody got an early 70's pickup truck for sale? I knew this was where we were headed, I just didn't realize that we were already there!
  8. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

The only real difference is whether the vehicle transmits/recieves via wi-fi/cell or you have to plug in to a computer. If it transmits/receives, such as with On-Star, then among other things it can be hacked. New opportunity for boosters. Don't need a slim jim anymore, just an Ipad.

The double edged sword of technology strikes again.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  9. wv hillbilly

then the cops can just stop your car with this black box?
  10. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

Yep.
  11. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

What you thought the 'Cash for Clunkers' program was to get the old vehicles off the road for the environment. Ha.
  12. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

That and much more, these days some of the high end cars have electronic controlled suspension, throttle, and steering. They could practically control your vehicle, it's already in most cars. It's all in the computer software, but it won't be unleashed until OBD III becomes legal. When that happens, if you ever speed one time you will be sent a nice ticket in the mail.
  13. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

Google is already testing robocars on the streets in LA. Totally hands and foot free. Just punch in the destination and away you go. No speeding, no tailgating, no nothing. You're just along for the ride. Not only would you get a ticket (if you could manage a violation at all), you could be automatically diverted to the courthouse (or the nearest FEMA internment camp). :eek:

I'll be driving my existing vehicles till I die unless they die first, in which case I'll be looking for a good horse and buggy. :)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-5...brin-youll-ride-in-robot-cars-within-5-years/
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  14. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

interesting thread.

glad I drive an old diesel/

the cell / onstar / gps / tab keeping thing is not fun to look at in a 'what if' situation.

speaking of that.

if you hve a cell.. I bet it's gps cabable.. even if you don't use it. even if it just reports position to cell sites... those who want to, know where you are going.. when you go.. and could figure time / speed.. etc..
  15. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

The Amish folks have some very well trained buggy animals, gunny -

And the only thing you can plug into their diagnostics port is a thermometer.