Project I have been working on.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cycloneman, Jan 30, 2012.

1. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

So i thought i would show some recent pics of a job i am finishing up. The school required about 6 thousand feet of chain link. Most of it was 6' high and some was 8' high. It also had about 300' of orinamental iron which was a pre fabbed product. However there was something neat added to the fence. They requested a cut out of a child doing a summersault. I have a buddy of mine at a fab shop that recommended Alliance Lazer in Slidell to do this work. I have to say they did a good job, no ruff edges at all. I spent all day this past Saturday priming and painting the little boogers. I also took a pic of the pipe notcher we use in the field. I caught the pic as the notcher was being removed from the trailer so it is not straight in the photo. We use a Williams notcher that will notch up to 2 3/8 OD pipe. This is the largest we ever run into and that is mostly for cantilever gates.

Next project up for me is a correctional training facility. 8' high chain link with 3 rails welded and razor wire. Fun Fun......

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      171.8 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      181 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      163.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      142.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

nice work ! beats the el cheapo , find it and fit it fence i've built here
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Nice job looks good
  4. time2shoot

time2shoot Well-Known Member

5. geds

geds New Member

Impressive!
  6. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wish I had the talent to do neat thinks like that.
  7. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Nice work ! The kids are going to love it.
  8. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Hey Cycloneman, nice looking job!

I think I've mentioned to you before, my Dad owned a fence company, and I've stretched many a mile of chain link. I don't miss it at all!

I'm trying to guess from the picture of the chain link, is that 9 gauge wire? Let me see if my memory is correct. Seems like a 50' roll of 9 gauge weighed 240 pounds. Not too bad to roll out and stretch on a nice open area like in the picture, but I'm guessing the whole job area wasn't that open! And if you're using 9 gauge, then the posts and rails are bound to be the heavy stuff too. Seems like the heavy posts and rails we called 'Standard' or schedule 40 (I think), and the light stuff was just called 'tubing'. Just curious if the same terms are still used today.
    We never did any wrought iron back then, but my oldest brother still does some.
    I've got to ask about the pipe notcher. We never had anything like that. Do you use it to swedge the top rail or what?
    Man, I'm going back 30 years or so ago to memories of when I did it. Like I said above, I don't miss it a bit!!!

9. cycloneman

Used to just sit on the sidelines and watch. Sit at my desk and look at plans and specs all day long. Drove around to all the plan rooms and bid jobs. Not anymore. Oh i still have to do all that stuff but now I do it from my computer because there is no way i can get around anymore. WHY? GO ahead and ask. Well that is because the potus and this economy now has me in the field working as well. I cant afford a forman anymore. Its all on me now. But thats ok November is coming around and i am gona vote to fire him from his job. He sucks. I havn't had a vacation since he took office but he has had plently of them for me i guess. :mad:
  10. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

Great looking fence, and yes obummer has had his fair share of vacations at OUR expense. Time to send him on a vacation with a one way ticket back to Kenya where he belongs.
  11. cycloneman

YOu know some days I feel like punching the guy who taught me this in the mouth. hehehehe, no but really.

I am strickly commercial so its all sch 40, or full weight or standard as some call it. That is 9 ga wire and at one time I could pick it up and put it on my shoulder. that was a long time ago, not that crazy any more.

the pipe notcher is to cut the end of the pipe to sattle it to another pipe for making gates. That notcher will cut up to 2 3/8" pipe which is mostly used for cantilever gates.

My next job is for a correctional training facility and it take 8' tall 6ga wire. 6ga comes in 25 foot rolls. I am going to fab up one of those devices to attach to your bob cat to stand it up and roll it out. I used to have one but lost it in Katrina. I am not fighting 8' 6ga wire. The fence is also going to get 3 rails welded with razor ribbon. I will have one roll gate with a chamberland 575 operator which is now what the stanley used to be. Oh and all the post are going to be 4" OD 9.11 lbs per foot.
  12. cycloneman

The chain link in the pic goes into the woods 870'. You can only see about 200' in the pic. That side was the worst. The site man cleared as much underbrush as he could for us. The rest of the job was not too bad, pretty much like you see in the pic except where the landscaper planted trees too close to where the fence was going.
  13. hkruss

hkruss Active Member

Better go ahead and stock up on the Advil!!!

Always hated razor wire. No matter how careful you are, it's gonna get you! 'Course, I ain't telling you anything you don't already know!!!

14. cycloneman

Yea well I know some guys that would love to fire him and also and see him work his butt off carring rolls of wire out for us. That man dont know WORK.
  15. cycloneman

The thing about razor wire that is so hard to learn is that you cant jerk back when you get stuck. It takes alot of practice not to do that. Cause that is when you get cut when you pull back. I remember working on Jefferson Parish Prison after Katrina, I was up on the basketball ct and working on razor wire. I got caught in the behind thru my pants and boy did it hurt. My knees are allready hurting and i moved in such a way i backed into it. ANd i could not just move forward cause my arms were in 30" rolls of the stuff hog ringing it back to tension wire. That sucked.