Project M1911A1 ready to test fire!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Slabsides, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Project M1911A1 build 1 is almost complete. It still needs a new front sight. I can tell the one I have on it is going to be too short, other than that everything looks to be a go!

It went a bit over budget, but what the heck....I refuse to build a POS.

It's an Essex receiver, Caspian slide and other parts include Cylinder and Slide, Les Baer, Chip McCormick, Ed Brown, Pachmayr, Swensen and a couple of Sarco mil-spec parts.

I managed to keep the tolerances in the slide fit and barrel fit to 0.002", so it should hold a nice pattern. I can't wait till tomorrow to squeeze some rounds off!

Special thanks to Shooter45 for posting his "reliability tricks" in the sticky....they were applied to this weapon with good results.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Eeewwww...looks nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love stainless!!!!! :)

mike
    gn
  3. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Very nice Slabsides Very nice.
  4. ivarr

ivarr New Member

beautiful, hopefully around the new year i will start my very first complete build on a fusion frame
  5. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

What's involved in a project like this. Does one need a lot of machining skills and equipment?

BTW...Beautiful Gun.
  6. fyimo

fyimo New Member

Great looking Custom Gun that I'm sure will make you proud.:)
  7. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Thanks guys! Only a few more hours till some rounds get ran through it. I live way out in the country, but I still respect Sunday morning quietness.

Tim: No heavy machine work was required. A bit of hand filing and sanding on some parts and the VERY VERY careful use of a Dremel with sanding, cutting and polishing bits. Also needed is some laping compound. I used some old valve grinding compound (400grit/23micron) to lap the slide-to-receiver fit. Some precision measuring equipment is required as well.

Getting a pre-fit, enhanced slide/receiver would have made things alot easier, but I wanted to try it out at least once. Fitting the barrel to get proper lockup is the most labor (and mind)-intense part. While these weapons are simple in design, there is alot involved in fitting new parts, esp. when using several different manufacturers.

I will say that anyone planning to build one should use good quality parts. You will be happy you did and actually SAVE money by not having to pay for a POS part and then re-ordering a nice one that fits and looks good.

Oh yea, when you figure out the buget for a build.....double it.:D
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  8. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Results: At 15 yds, unrested it printed a 1.4" pattern using Remington 230gr FMJ.

Me likes. :cool:
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Very Nice slabsides. You did an excellent job. Makes me want to hurry up and finish mine.. (waiting on backorders)
  10. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Slabsides, approximately how much do you have invested in materials cost?
  11. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I don't see a picture of your creation. Hows about putting one up for us all?
    Ive kicked around trying a build but I am better off buying completed packages for as of now.
  12. Slabsides

Slabsides Member

Thanks, JLA. I know about the backorder thing.:mad: I'm still waiting on another slide I ordered a month ago. I broke the bank and sprung for a Caspian because it was avail. now. I was going to get an Essex, but they are in process of moving their factory now and will not resume production until sometime in September.

Tim, I don't have a total just yet. I will soon add up the parts and let you know. I'm scared to know at the moment.:) One thing is for sure: It's waaaaay less costly than a manufactured custom hand-fitted 1911.

jacksonco: Is the pic in my original post not showing up? Here is a link to a pic.. http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=939
  13. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Tim, I am in the process of building a .460 Rowland on an Essex reciever and Essex enhanced slide. When finished, I will have appx 1300 bucks in it. Im sure Slabsides has gotten close to that, maybe a tad less. Just to get an idea how much building one can save. Go look on the wilson combat site at thier Hunter model. Thats essentially what im building and they are retailing thiers for 3500 bucks:eek:

heres a link...http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_460.asp
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009