project shotgun question?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by remington1990, Oct 3, 2012.

1. remington1990

remington1990 Member

i am thinking about getting a old single shot shotgun for a project and for a wall hanger. i dont know what i really should look for i would love a old stevens or a j.c higgins. i have found a remington for 85 but they said it was in pretty good shape. as far as what i want to do to it is reblue the barrel and re stain the stock not nothing main any advice would be apperciated thanks
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

all you need is a keen eye and a dollar bill. Go check out the shotgun in question and make sure the stocks fit tight, hammer cocks and fires properly and then close the action on the dollar bill and make sure it holds the bill snug. It should not slip out easily if at all.
  3. remington1990

remington1990 Member

ok i will have to try that when i found one. I really like to find a h&r topper. What would be a good cheaper single shot rifle the main reason i am wanting a wall hanger is i am wanting to arranged my deer heads and antler with a gun under them thanks