projectiles

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

bigboom338
    (2/21/03 8:49:45 pm)
    Reply | Del All projectiles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am new to the blackpowder game and would like to hear what some of you guys use on whitetails.I shoot a Lyman 50 cal with 1 in 66 twist I live in South Dakota so our shots tend to be a little longer than is practical for a ML.I dont think a round ball is going to have enuf energy at a 100 yards or a bit more.My load is 80 gr Pyrodex,015 patch and a 490 round ball.Accuracy is excellent (can consistantly break clay piegons at 110 paces from a sitting position).Any way with my twist sabbots are out,but I am open to feed back

Results (total votes = 0):
    Blackpowder/muzzeloading 0 / 0.0%

Vote Now

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/21/03 10:15:10 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: projectiles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My old T/C Renegade .50 had a 1:48 twist and handled the Buffalo Bullet 385 gr conicals really well with 90 gr FFG and a hot cap. The 1:66 twist just about limits you to the round ball for any sort of accuracy. Never had much dealings with the rounders, so can't really be of much help with them.

Welcome to the board and hope you enjoy the many other forums and discussions.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/22/03 9:22:30 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: projectiles
    Why is the 1 in 66 twist not good for anything but round balls? I am guessing, does a pointed round need more spin to stabalize it?

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Edited by: warpig883 at: 2/22/03 9:23:29 am

bigboom338
    (2/22/03 11:21:49 am)
    That is a fact Jason,slower twist for round balls and faster for connicals. Has anyone tried those ballette's ?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/22/03 12:37:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: projectiles
    What is a ballette?

Can round ball be shot in a barrel with a fast twist?

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/22/03 1:38:05 pm)
    Yes you can shoot RB in a fast twist. It will be much more sensitive to load to get the best accuracy, but you can get it tuned in with a bit of trial. I have been playing with the R.E.A.L. bullets from the Lee mold. In my 1:48 50cal, they are quite accurate with the same load as the RB. In my son's 1:48 50cal, we had to change to a synthetic powder and pull almose 5gr off the load to get the accuracy. YMMV

Armed and Safe - not just a theory