Projects new and old

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ysacres, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Bompa
    (6/18/01 8:59:19 pm)
    Reply Projects new and old
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What is everybody doing for project guns.??
    Where do you find parts??
    Where do you find the information one needs to do some of
    these things??
    What can you do and what do you have to farm out ??
    Lots of questions..Hope there are lots of answers..

Lets hear from you all,perhaps we can help each other..

tuckerd1
    (6/18/01 9:29:16 pm)
    Reply Re: Projects new and old
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bompa,

I mentioned my current project in your last topic, so I won't go over it again here. But, I do want to see this topic through. I would like to find out what special tools, jigs, etc. are necessary and which ones are nice to have.

How to perform each step to build a good shooting 1911 is one of my priorities now.

Built one 1911 in '80-81, but it was all hand fitted without using jigs or special tools. Shot pretty good for a first timer. Haven't tried it again.

We need to draw TYRVR and Shooter45 into this. What ya'll say guys.

Edited by: tuckerd1 at: 6/18/01 10:30:38 pm

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (6/18/01 10:06:38 pm)
    Well guys it`s as addictive, as my hotrod days and it does not quit once started. I have used undersized holed frames, oversized holed frames and same for pins. Buy custom parts and customize them more by hand....GEESH!! Like buying custom aluminum rods....best on the market, then spend a week polishing out minute flaws. It becomes a quest of perfection, never gained...but always sought. I`m sure anyone who loves the 1911 design, has seen some real classic`s....there only as good as the next guy`s, because he used your`s or someone else`s idea`s and found something you missed to improve on. I have a mil-spec springfield, that has some serious time in, it still looks like a spec pistol, but was built for a special purpose. "River Carry" where things happen fast and they are big. Designed to shoot only hardball 200 or 235gr. yes 235 german "heavy copper jackets" will barely expand on concrete. The slide has been lowered a full 1/4" further than the standard factory lowering, flaired twice the size, rails hand polished, slide expanded in front .005", rattles like a bucket of bolts when you shake it and shoots 6" groups at 20 feet, but it will digest all dirty and full of mud everything fed it....it must shoot and eject and it must do it everytime...hogs care little for the fast clear drill. It took me 2 months to butcher a stock gun for this use....it`s only use. It has saved me twice in eight years, both encounters close enough for powder burns to the receiving end game. Each one I own is set up different, the mil-spec is still my favorite and the go-to when things get ripe. All are special and great, but the mil-spec is my darling. Don`t get me started on 1911`s I LOVE-EM!!!! Done rambling................see-ya. LTS

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/19/01 7:18:15 am)
    My project gun at the moment is .40 cal. race gun. SVI frame,Infinity slide, Schuemann ultimatch barrel w/ nine port compensator, C-more red dot sight and Accu-rails. Most all the parts are available from Tri- State Shooters Supply and Rush International. I farm out all machine work ( Bo-Mar Sights,accu-rails,etc.) and have a friend do my checkering. I worked with a pistolsmith years ago and learned a lot from him. The 1911-A1 design is simple and fun to work with due to aftermarket parts availability. But some functioning problems can arise from time to time and be a real pain.

Edited by: shooter45 us at: 6/19/01 8:43:12 am

Bompa
    (6/19/01 8:31:25 am)
    Shooter45us,,
    Do the parts sellers you mentioned have web sites ??
    I did a bunch of business with Dennys and miss them..
    Brownells is good but high priced it seems,do have a lot
    of parts..

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/19/01 8:35:38 am)
    Bompa, tristateshooter@yahoo.com and www.rushusa.com . Good prices on both.

Edited by: Tac401 at: 6/19/01 4:56:26 pm

Bompa
    (6/19/01 7:07:43 pm)
    Thanks Shooter I will check them out this evening..

Bompa
    (6/19/01 7:48:43 pm)

Spent some time today working on the extractor for the 9mm
    parts gun I am putting together.. Used the Weigand extractor
    adjusting tool and the extractor gauges..Must say it was a bit
    different than doing a 45..Got it set at the suggested setting,
    will find out Thursday evening if all is well..

Essex frame
    Colt slide
    Olympus Arms barrel
    various internals
    Tasco Ultima 2000 red dot

tuckerd1
    (6/19/01 8:16:23 pm)
    Nice project going there Bompa!

tuckerd1
    (6/20/01 6:49:21 am)
    Bompa,

Email Sam at tristateshooter@yahoo.com for 1911 parts. He got me some great prices on custom parts for my Gold Cup project.

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (6/22/01 8:34:18 am)
    I bought a Norinco .45 yesterday and it will be my new project gun. I haven't decided what to do to it yet.

Bompa
    (6/22/01 8:10:25 pm)
    Well ran a few through the 9mm project gun last evening and
    everything seemed to work allright..
    They had some bowling pins set up so I had to see if the old
    colt govt.in 45 still worked..Did it's thing but the red dot seems to bounce around a lot more..Can't imagine what that means..Can't be old age could it???