promiseing signs

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by 21bravo, Jul 30, 2009.

1. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

hey all.. i was just wondering how many of y'all were already getting set for deer season...

my hunting buddy and i finally finished our new deer blind today and got it in the woods with a few months to spare. the original plan was to make a temporary MOBILE deer blind framed with 2x4's and covered with plywood. it turned into a slightly less mobile blind framed out of locust 3x5 posts and coverd with pine 2x4's (we have our own sawmill to supply the wood:p the hunting buddy's dad is a logger..) it rained on us all day while we were making sure it was fitting together right (its put together with 1/2" carriage bolts so we can tap out the bolts and carry the 5 pieces, 4 sides and roof, to a new spot if need be) and then taking it to the hunting spot. ...at the spot we've planted some clover and there is a spring coming up.. just before we left to come back home today three deer heard us putting up our tools and ran off... the were coming in to eat some clover. i was inside the blind, and my .308 was outside the blind. and i didnt feel like lobbing .40smith rounds at 100 yds.... so they live for another day.... for now:cool:
  2. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

Hey bravo, man I started scoutting diffrent plots and fields on the 4th of july. Looks good so far cant wait to start hunting !!!!!!! Good Luck.
  3. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Thats not a deer blind, that's a small cabin:D
    lots of old apple orchards (6 to 12 trees).
    that's were we get our deer and bear.
    A family member has 75 acres that hosts
    an elk herd, about 20 miles up the road.
    never had to use a blind:D
    Should be a good year.
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Shot all my deer guns the past month to make sure that they were still sighted in. Changed the 30-30 back to standard ammo instead of the Leverevolution ammo, easier to find. Will be purchasing a new ladder stand for this year, as well as one of those ground blinds so the wife can come along if she wants to. As far as getting out and looking for deer sign, I just fill up my feeder, and hunt over it now days. That doesn't mean that I won't be out there looking around, because I will be. What I'm really looking forward to is squirrel season!
  5. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

sorry i didnt respond with a "thank you" earlier. i havent been on much here lately and when i was this post was never near the top. :eek: i have to say july 4th is a bit earlier than i started but hey, i always hunt from october til january and plan from febuary til september:D:D
  6. kingchip

kingchip New Member

We never stop planning. I spent the weekend looking for fawns at sundown, and worrying about a stud buck that's limping unexplained. No predators, no threats and no pressure. Snakebite is all I can think of. Normally I would be preparing the foodplots for planting, but we haven't had enough rain since last august to grow cactus. Maybe 1 1/2" total.
  7. Bill Sweetman

Bill Sweetman New Member

You want rain try rain pretty-much every day!!(here in montreal)North east bout 600 miles from here where I hunt I was told "theres lots a big deer signs but no small deer even on camera. The coyotes have em all cleaned up from this winter!"(our coyotyes are hybrids...........mixed with dog so they kill for food and for fun, some idiot tree hugger thought it would be a good idea to reitroduce the coyote into its natural habitat ...............wrong!!!)........still can't wait to venture out to hunt!!!

Bill
  8. kingchip

kingchip New Member

We deal convincingly with ALL predators. They can not be eliminated down here, but we keep them down pretty well.
  9. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I haven't been actively scouting but I never really stop looking for sign. If I'm hiking with the kids I look for deer sign. I have seen a lot of deer on my way home from work this week so I'm starting to feel the fever. I'll work on plots the end of this month or early next month.
  10. Win73

Win73 New Member

I put out a salt lick about a month ago. I am also putting out corn and peanut butter about every week to ten days. Not enough to feed them, just enough to get them expecting it to be there for a special treat.
  11. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Hey, thanks for the reminder guys!
    Gotta get out there..