Proper Posting Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Harshbarger, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Harshbarger

Harshbarger New Member

I only joined this site about a month ago and was wondering which is the proper tactic to get questions through...Are you suppose to click on a particular topic first or can you just tag onto something already posted that is similar? I have enjoyed reading in here on various topics but I tend to get less work done as a result.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Either way is ok, depending on the circumstances. If you question is similar enough to a discussion already in progress, then by all means, add a post to the existing thread. If you have a different question, or you just want to differentiate your question, then start a new thread.
  3. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

So do I need to bring a needle to start a new thread, is this sewing 101?
  4. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

I sure hope not I can sew a stich. unless it is in human flesh cloth gives me the willies :D
    Ron
  5. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Smart A$$ !!!!!

:) :D :D
  6. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Hey, Dawg. How often do you get called "SMART?" :D:D:D

Pops
  7. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I find it easier just to post onto an existing thread, before I get through with my inane ramblings we usually get sidetracked to a whole 'nother topic anyway... :cool:

I save my really PROFOUND ramblings for "new threads" that I start (and most people ignore... :D

If you have a SPECIFIC question, say, about a specific gun or problem you have, or whatever, it's probably best to post it as a new thread in the proper forum. Somebody will answer it. Somebody may even give the right answer! But no matter, you WILL get a lot of opinions, and maybe start a good fight! :cool:

Welcome to a great board from the prodigal Polish!

(Just hit the "post a reply" button and type away then hit "submit reply" at the bottom to post it when you are done.)

("Edit" is for when you forget to spell check and think you might look stupid when you reread your post after you posted it because you misspelled "Clot" or "Winhcserter" and want to fix it before anybody sees it, but by then it's usually too late!) (or else if you said something you later think somebody might take wrong and get mad....)

(The stupid smiley thingies we all add you can just click on the pictures at the side whenever you want to add on and it will show up when you post wherever you hit it in your test. (Which is a heckuva lot EASIER to do than it used to be to post those stupid things ... :) :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :mad: :D )

("Quote" is for when you want to respond to a specific thing somebody said. I don't know really how to use it, even though it seems everybody does now. In the old days you only quoted somebody if he said something REALLY stupid and you wanted to pounce all over it in a good argument just before the names and bullets started to fly! :eek: But nowadays it's used all the time, good and bad.)

Again, welcome aboard, Harsh...it will become second nature to you about the second or third time you do it.

Post away!
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  8. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Allmost never :( , But I rather be called a smart A$$ :D than a dumb A$$ :( any day, Dawg out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :D :D .........PS it was an honest question.( he he he he).
  9. A hearty welcome to the forums, Harsh! If you like guns and conservative politics, this is definitely the place to be!

Polish mentioned the "Quote" button which many of us use quite a lot (especially when we catch Polish in some outrageous statement). Setting up a quote is really pretty simple and there are two ways you can do it:

1. If you click the "Quote" button under any given post, a reply screen will appear with the entire message that was written in the post you selected. It will begin with Quote=(name of poster) framed in brackets like this:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2006
  10. Harshbarger

Harshbarger New Member

Guten aben and thanks for all the tips. When I first joined this thing I put a couple of questions in but got no reply nor could I ever find them again.
  11. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

A lot of the time when we (the staff) see that a question is in the wrong forum and getting no answers, we move it to the correct forum where you can get answers. Not everyone visits all forums. When we move it, we leave a redirect to where we put it. All you have to do is press the redirect from where you had the question and you will automatically be directed to the new forum where we put it. You can also subscribe to a forum and get emails when there are answers to your thread. Hope this helps.

A good rule of thumb is to start a new thread with you questions. Sometimes people try tacking on to an ancient thread and figure people will respond. They usually do not when it is old. People figure this was a dead subject and do not bother.
  12. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*