Proper tools to disasemble a...........

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Neil, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Neil

Neil New Member

Proper tools to disasemble a S&W 442 j frame revolver.
    I have tried small screwdrivers and only twist the screw heads now they're all mangled :mad: Might just have been my first gun newb mistake.
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

I use hollow-ground screwdrivers that I have fitted to the sideplate screws. You also need a mallet with a non-marring head (plastic or whatever) to tap the grip frame to dislodge the sideplate. You might also need an ejector rod tool or at minimum some non-marring pliers to loosen the ejector rod.
  3. Pistolsmith

Pistolsmith New Member

Not every gun enthusiast or gunsmith has the proper fixture to grind screw driver bits.
    Brownells have purpose fitted sets of screw driver bits for the S&W. They also have short handled drivers with magnetic or clip tips. One of the longer handles has a hole for a leverage rod so that pressure can be applied downward and torsionally at the same time to loosen the tight ones.
    You should order a set of replacement screws before you remove the damaged ones. You can order them from Brownells or from S&W Service, Parts Dep't.
    If you have a drill press, you can chuck a bit, apply hard downward pressure via the handle and torque the screw loose with a rod in the chuck key hole. I have a piece of thick hard rubber I use to hold the frame under the chuck.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

All this was good advice. Let me add; When I had kids at home, and a wife, nothing was sacred insofar as tools were concerned, and I found everything, everywhere, all the time. When my ex decided to cut some wire with a Hienkels chisel, the whole world changed. After my BP and pulse both got back below 200, I locked up ALL my dedicated tools, screwdrivers and chisels included- (1) lock, (1) key. No more buggered screws, no more split wood; shortly, not even any more adult supervision!
    If you don't have a screwdriver that fits, make, or buy, one, label or mark it, and use it for that chore ONLY.
    A screw can be replaced, only time lost, but rip into a sideplate, and the costs go up, exponentially.
    Good tools last a lifetime, and practically guarantee better results.
  5. Pistolsmith

Pistolsmith New Member

Yes, good tools last a lifetime.......but not wives, sometimes. After over fifty years of being incommunicado, when she came back into my life, her first remark was: "You still have all that junk?"
    Beginning to come back to me why we parted company.
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*