Pros and Cons of CCW?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Rastminikov, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Rastminikov

Rastminikov Former Guest

So I live in TX, but northern TX. I live in Grapevine and work in Southlake. Not exactly a bad area of the world... I'm weighing the idea of getting a CCW though for a minority of situations - going downtown or anywhere unfamiliar late at night, etc. Thing is, I have a gun that is perfect as a CCW, but I'm considering trading it in for a 1911.

Options: 1) Trade it in for the 1911 and don't get a CCW, 2) Don't trade it in, get the CCW and pay 100% cash for the 1911 or 3) Trade it in and carry the 1911 instead.

Is #3 viable? I know it's big, but it's slim. Downside #2 would be 8 round capacity... though if ya can't do it in 8 rounds, you'd probably be dead anyway. Chest holster under a jacket only?

FYI, the CCW I have is a Millenium Pro 9mm. Too small to be much fun at the range, but good for CCW.
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i can conceal a 1911 without a problem. i am a big dude though. id rather have 8 rounds of 45 then 20 of 9mm. that said i carry a glock 22 40 caliber. so obviously i'd rather have 16 rounds of 40 then 8 of 45

i'd trade, then get the ccw license, then carry the 1911

of course keeping the 9 and buying the 45 is also a pretty nice option in my eyes too, since i like guns.

but i'd definitely get a license to conceal since in tx, if im not mistaken, you cannot open carry.

is the 1911 a full size or a commander size?
  3. Rastminikov

Rastminikov Former Guest

Full size, 5" barrel. I think I'll go ahead with the trade. I'll look into getting the conceal carry in the next few months. Rather have it and not need it than... I just couldn't carry at all during the week - I work in a finance type job where I'm wearing dress pants and a dress shirt all day. Hard to conceal much of anything in that getup. Plus, it's Southlake... The soccer moms and retired rich folk aren't of any concern lol.
  4. johnlives4christ

with the right holster you would be able to conceal in those clothes. there is one called the super tuck deluxe made by cross breed holster . i think this is the name of the one i have in mind

if it was a commander size i was going to give you a holster for it that i have lying around
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

A 1911 can, as John said, be concealable if you are the right build and wear appropriate clothing, but for most people it isn't that practical. If your 9mm has proven itself reliable, that might not be a bad choice for CCW. Only you can decide how much you trust your life to a given caliber and magazine capacity. 8 rounds might be enough for most scenarios but what if you end up in a real live shoot out with multiple assailants? Only you can decide, and a CCW class can help you answer those questions.

As for your stated options, I would go with number 2. I think just about everyone on this forum will say the same thing. We almost all own multiple firearms. Many of us like to collect and are constantly acquiring new guns. Others may have a smaller assortment that they consider to adequately cover all of their needs. In your case owning both a 9mm and a .45 could be useful for offering options as the weather and your clothing changes seasonally.

One thing I learned from my CCW class was to carry all the time. The police officer instructing the course told us to carry every single time we leave our residence. Even if it's a quick trip to the corner store. Be aware that no matter how peaceful an area seems, a threatening situation can occur. I believe that is why he encouraged us to carry all the time. It's part of the mindset he wanted us to have based on his experience as an LEO. You never know when and where something will happen and most people become victims when they least expect it. Being prepared all the time will help to keep you from becoming a victim.
  6. johnlives4christ

if you would have just as much trouble carrying the taurus as the 1911 at work i would say trade... then also buy something that you could conceal at work. something like the ruger LCP or a smith and wesson 642 if you're able to conceal it. maybe one of the small kahr semi automatics.

then when you're working you can have your baby gun with you... and when your not you can untuck your shirt and carry the 1911 on your belt. (also keeping the baby gun in your pocket)
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

attend a ccw class, and decide from there. caliber is one of the least important factors. shot placement being in my opinion the number one consideration. practice practice practice. consicder the odds ..... are you likely to be confronted by hoards of thugs ? if so maybe a lifestyle change is in order. now back to caliber, though i don't personally think it's a good idea keep in mind more people have been killed with a 22 than any other caliber ( except in a war setting) if a smaller caliber is picked think and research the proper bullet. there is tons of imformation out there as to the best load for each serious caliber. one shot stops are plus or minus a few percentage points the same for 9mm, 357 sig, 40 s&w and 45 acp. and don't overlook the revolver a 357 mag leads the pack when it comes to one shot stops 5 or 6 rounds with a bianchi speed strip for an extra cylinder full will get out of almost every jam you might find yourself in.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'll advise the same as oscarmayer. I think the most important part of the equation is to be armed if trouble should come calling. Get the CCW first, the 9 will work just fine for now. If I had to wear a suit all day I would carry the small J frame type .38's in a pocket holster, or go deep concealed. Something like the Smart Carry System; http://www.smartcarry.com/shows.html
  9. Rastminikov

Rastminikov Former Guest

Well, I have a .357 mag as well. I could conceal it about as easily as a rocket launcher though, as it's a 6.5" barrel 8 shooter :p I work in Southlake, though so I don't think I'll need a gun at work... For reference, Forbes named Southlake the most affluent neighborhood in the US w/ median income of $170k... The police here are just bored, writing traffic tickets all day and maybe a drunk every once in awhile... lol Situations where I'd need the gun are rare - say, going to downtown Dallas or meeting someone to sell something via Craigslist. I'm sure for those occasions I could carry the 1911, so what I've decided to do is go ahead and trade in the 9mm for the 1911. :)
  10. johnlives4christ

well perhaps at work you wont need a gun. my gut tells me that on the drive to and from is were you'd need it most though. i'd carry one in the car if it were me.

we of course want to see pics of the new gun when you get it.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I usually wear shorts, T shirt, and sandles, very light clothing, and some of the shorts I wear have the elastic waist band, yet with the Smart Carry System I still carry my .45 with comfort. When I dress up a little the shorts I wear have belt loops, so the .45 goes on the hip. In a suit the coat covers it well.
  12. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

You have a great gun for CCW. Just use it!

You want to train "close" (7-10yds) for CCSD; so your firearm is fine. Heck, my wife can hit bowling pins at 50yds with her 3" Bersa; and silhouette targets at 100yds. (She's only been shooting for two years.) So, it is possible to have a lot of fun with a little compact. (Just get training and practice.)

I'm a 1911 fan; but not for CC for the reason you cited. (Besides, a dbl stack 1911 is to big for my "artritic" hands to grip effectively.)

I do believe shot placement definitely trumps caliber and capacity. However, in this day and age wolves definitely run in packs. That's why I like my 24/7 ProC 45acp. I get 11 or 13rds of 45acp depending on the magazine; and I have the effective 45acp rd.

If you want to go to a larger caliber and still have a good range gun, check out the Springfield XD compacts. You can have the longer barrel for accuracy and a "compact" grip for concealment. (Not to mention the unsurpassed reliabilty of the XD.)

If you want to learn more about the 24/7 ProC try going to TaurusArmed.net.

For more information on the XD compact go here: http://xdtalk.com
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  13. Jeff Midguard

Jeff Midguard New Member

Here are some of the simple pros and cons...

Pro - the ability to legally carry a concealed weapon wherever it is not otherwise declared illegal.

Con - One more paper trail highlighting you to the authorities.
    - Possibility of the state's CCW list being leaked and published on-line as recently happened in NY.

But by all means, get the CCW if you feel you have a definite need for it.
  14. thomas44

thomas44 New Member

Well, I live in Ohio, but it doesn't matter where you live anymore. There are criminals everywhere, and I would think being in Texas you would be fully aware of the fact that there are alot of bad dudes coming into our country down your way. As far as soccer moms go, you may be the one able to save a soccer mom's life someday. It's not just about saving your own hide imho. That's not to say you become law enforcement with CCW, but if someones life is at stake...
  15. dualsportrider

dualsportrider New Member

I would get your .45 but keep the smaller gun for ccw. If you sell it you will regret it sooner or later because there will come a day for whatever reason that you could have used it.
  16. zeenman1

zeenman1 New Member

Bigger is better, just work around it. I made the mistake and went with a sub compact size pistol. Would rather have the longer barrel and accuracy when I need it most.
  17. LonglineCharlie

LonglineCharlie New Member

I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHOOT A FRIENDS TWO GLOCK 40'S. THE COMBAT VERSION SUCKED IN MY OPINION BUT THE FULL SIZE WAS GREAT. I HAVE A WONDERFUL SHOOTING 1911 COLT SERIES 70 WITH A WIDE BEAVERTAIL AND A FLAT MAINSPRING HOUSING. I DID GO WITH THE FINE CHECKERING AND I THINK I WILL BUY THE COURSE CHECKERING. I WANT TO FIND THE STIPPLING PIECE THAT IS THIN METAL THAT WRAPS AROUND THE HANDLE AND UNDER THE GRIPS BUT I HAVE NO LOCATED ONE YET. WITH RELOADS IT IS EXTREMELY ACCURATE. SOMEONE DID A TRULY GREAT ACURIZING JOB ON IT BEFORE I BOUGHT IT FOR $250 IN 1992 OFF OF A FRIEND OF MINE. I HAD A CLARK 45 THAT WAS WONDERFUL TO BUT IT DID NOT SHOOT ANY BETTER THAN THIS ONE. MINE HAS BOMAR TARGET SIGHTS ON IT BUT NOT GOOD FOR CARRY. BUY A SET OF KIMBER CONCEALED CARRY SIGHTS. MUCH BETTER FOR NOT SNAGGING ON CLOTHING OR HOLSTER FOR RAPID DRAWING.
    MY OPINION, THE FULL SIZE GLOCK 40 WAS MORE CONCEALABLE THAN MY FULL SIZE 1911 AND THE 40 IS ALMOST AS GOOD AS THE 45. IT WAS MADE FOR FEMALE FBI PERSONNEL WHO COULD NOT HANDLE THE 45. WIMPS.