Pro's and Con's of the lever?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Whitefang81
    (11/26/02 5:09:13 pm)
    Reply Pro's and Con's of the lever?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ok, i'm still in the research mode of firearm shopping, this will be my first rifle, and I definatly want a .22. for obvious reasons. Any ways, talking to a few people, they suggested gettin a rifle like the Henry Lever action. I originally was looking at the 10/22 and Rem. 597. But now i' thinking bout the lever action, looks like it would be fun to shoot. All i'd be using it for is shooting at the range. What are the reasons for getting a lever action, and what are the reasons not to get a lever action. I wont be able to buy for about 4 months but i figured i'd still research this thouroly.

Thanx
    Paul

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/26/02 6:00:18 pm)
    Reply Re: Pro's and Con's of the lever?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Weclome Whitefang81.

There is a few things that make this decision fairly important. Have you ever fired a rifle before. If not, You might thing about a bold action. They are very accurate and are very safe dealing with one bullet at a time. A lever would be a good choice also. You must have a gun that feels comfortable in your hands. I had a Browning 9422 that fit like a glove. I have a Mariln model 60 that shoots like a glove. It is a semi-auto like the 10/22. I use this for hunting squirrels and rabbits. Lever actions are very fun to shoot, and as a first gun, a Golden Boy would be a great choice.

My advice, try and actually see as many makes and modelsas possible and handle them. Find what feels good in your hands and let your heart tell you what you want.

Now, I am sure that you will get some more technical responses than mine. My advice, listen to them all. You can never have too much information. I tend to buy more what my heart wants rather than what is "the best".

Good luck on your selection.

Hey, Bin Lauden, our women can kick you butt!

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/26/02 6:37:26 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Pro's and Con's of the lever?
    Welcome to TFF Whitefang81,

You are on the right track. A lever .22 is a blast to shoot and they just plain ol' look cool.

The Marlin 39 is a classic. It is the longest running model ever produced by ANY manufacturer. It is hard to beat for looks and fun factor. It breaks down VERY easy and is accurate.

I have a Browning BL22 that is also a blast. I am a diehard browning fan but i think the Marlin is top of the line. Marlin had the .22 figured out long before the other manufactures

Whitefang81
    (11/26/02 7:59:36 pm)
    Reply Re: Pro's and Con's of the lever?
    No never shot a Rifle, but I have shot a .45 Handgun and a 12 gauge Pump, and loved it. I'm not only looking at 22's, there is a Hi-point 9mm Carbine i'm lookin at too, but i like the idea with the 22, all i'm doin is target shootin, now, i'm a lefty, and a lefty bolt action is extremly hard to come by. I work at a Sporting goods store and every one of our stores in the district said we dont really carry lefty bolt action.

Now the main question is this.... is it easier to maintain a Semi, like a 10/22 or Rem 597 than a Lever action?
    Are they all about the same?
    and Which tend to have more problems Semi or Lever?

gram22
    (11/26/02 9:11:57 pm)
    Reply lever action .22
    I have never shot a lever-action, so I am not sure... but I would imagine that it jams less than a sem-auto. Lever-actions don't use a clip like a semi-auto, that would cut down on feeding problems. A lever-action can be fired quickly when you get used to it, and can make cans dance. Personally I prefer a Ruger 10/22 semi-auto, but this is just what "feels right" for me. I would also imagine that a lever-action would be pretty accurate.

Whitefang81
    (11/26/02 9:59:03 pm)
    Reply Re: lever action .22
    bottom line, Is a lever action worth getting?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/27/02 2:38:31 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: lever action .22
    Yes

It will last a lifetime and longer, and is loads of run,reliable and accurate

The quality of the lever actions such as the BL22,9422, and 39A are better than the cheap semi auto's. Just my opinion here
    Edited by: warpig883 at: 11/27/02 2:40:12 am

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/27/02 6:20:15 am)
    get 1 now... that's an order!

on a serious note however, the best advice is to handle all of them... ok, maybe not all, but atleast the 1's that catch your eye.
    There are characteristics to each and every one.
    Experience the difference, before you make a final choice.

Besides, it all boils down to your personal preferance, because either will be a good choice... and 1 of each, is even a better way to go

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

Whitefang81
    (11/27/02 11:59:56 pm)
    ok now who makes a good lever? what companies and models are there, it can be both 22, and others....

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (11/28/02 12:58:59 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: lever action .22
    Marlin
    Model 39
    www.marlinfirearms.com/

Browning
    BL22
    www.browning.com/

Winchester
    www.winchester-guns.com/

These three all make lever action guns in 22 and large calibers.The models numbers listed are for 22

jeeper1
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/28/02 8:31:46 pm)
    As a lefty also I understand your problems. I have had 2 lever actions a 9422m and a bl22. I now have a savage 22 bolt action that is left handed and is clip fed. I paid under $150 for it. It is not a tack driver but then I haven't tried looking for the most accurate ammo for it, I just shoot what I have handy.

Lizard Lips
    (12/16/02 6:52:21 pm)
    Reply Lever .22
    We have two, one a Marlin model 39as and the other a henry carbine with the large loop like on "The Riflemans" gun.

The Marlin is very accurate with it 24 inch barrel and the Henry is easy to handle with its 16 inch barrel. I prefer the Marlin because it looks nicer than the Henry, and as a plus, it will feed long rifle, longs and shorts. The iceing on the cake for me was that with the closed action, and 24 inch barrel, when loaded with 26 rounds(is that hi capacity or what? ) of .22 short CB caps, that run about 800 fps, it sounds like a supressed rifle. No bang.

Lizard Lips
    (12/16/02 6:55:31 pm)
    Reply Oops
    I forgot to say that the Henry feeds all types of ammo as well, and the Marlin will take down to two pieces for easy cleaning with just a coin, or even your fingers, by unscrewing the single takedown knob on the side of it. Plus it comes with a scope mount.

The Henry was 220.00 and the Marlin 400.00.