1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

PROSECUTORS WANT SOME DEFENDANTS TO GIVE UP CONCEALED GUN PERMITS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HiSpeed, Jun 6, 2007.

1. HiSpeed

HiSpeed New Member

This appears to me that people are losing their license upon being accused of a crime. It almost seems as if one is guilty until found innocent. Not whether or not the case has been adjudicated and the license holder found guilty. Geeze, I thought I was taught you were innocent until proven guilty. I know the politicians have probably changed the laws while I was dozing and you are now guilty until proven innocent, that is unless you are an illegal alien. :confused: :mad: :mad:

National News

Jun 6, 10:27 AM EDT

Prosecutors want some defendants to give up concealed gun permits

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- South Florida state prosecutors are asking judges to order people accused of violent crimes to give up their licenses to carry a concealed weapon.

Some prosecutors have expressed concerns about the licenses being used to avoid five-day waiting periods when buying handguns from firearm dealers who do not check with the state Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services to see if a permit is valid.

Broward County prosecutors will ask judges to order the surrender of the gun licenses for felonies, violent misdemeanors, drug crimes, certain DUI offenses and domestic violence crimes, said Jeff Marcus, chief of felonies for the Broward State Attorney's Office. The agriculture department, which oversees the licensing, will be notified that the permits were turned over to the court.

Katherine Fernandez Rundle, Miami-Dade County's state attorney, has said her office is asking the courts to order the licenses to be surrendered as soon as possible in felonies and serious misdemeanors.

Judge Amy Karan, head of Miami-Dade's Domestic Violence Court, has changed that court's forms to require the surrender of the licenses for restraining orders or misdemeanor abuse cases.

Palm Beach County prosecutors have asked that circuit court's chief judge to provide guidelines for implementing similar procedures.

Earlier this year, a South Florida Sun-Sentinel analysis of state records found loopholes, errors and miscommunication wrongly gave hundreds of criminals access to concealed weapons permits.

Among the roughly 410,000 Floridians licensed to carry a hidden gun: 1,400 people who pleaded guilty or no contest to felonies, 216 people with outstanding warrants, 128 people with active domestic violence injunctions and six registered sex offenders, the newspaper reported.

---

Information from: South Florida Sun-Sentinel, http://www.sun-sentinel.com
  2. obxned

obxned New Member

Guilty until proven innocent, and maybe long after.