1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Protein Tubs...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smokin Guns, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Any of y'all put any out...and how many do you go through during winter...?...:)
  2. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

What's a protein tub? :eek: ALmost afraid to ask! :D
  3. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

we have in the past when we had a good bit of poor/fair quality hay.... i had 1 for my milk cow when i had her in the lot by the house w/ some calves & it made her SICK!! so sick that we almost lost her! i think that was the last time i bought them.
  4. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

bruce ~ its basically a molasses lick for cattle. there is protein added & vits & minerals. they are usually in the 200 lb range of weight & they come in buckets.
  5. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Well the Deer seem to like them, least wise the neighbor down the road about a mile has one out for his beef and there is always a der or two around it in the evening. Never really noticed the cattle using it though. catfish
  6. Lilly

Lilly New Member

We do use (on occasion) the molassas block licks for the horses...but they will lick em constant until gone!! So...they are only offered the licks for short times. We usually keep it close to the fence, and just shove it within their reach in the a.m. and pull it back out a short time later.
    Lilly
  7. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

if they are mixed right, they shouldnt just sit there & devour them. i think the recommended "dosage" is 2 lbs per cow per day. i think the sodium content in them ensures they dont just hang around & eat them up... so most of the time you wont see cattle just hanging around them.
  8. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Heck don't never be s'keered...;)

RosieR and Lilly have got it figgered out...this is the first year for me to use them, I bought first cut hay and put one out ta start out the winter...I have read where if the 4-legged creatures like 'em too much ta pull 'em out or relocate them further away from water...:)
  9. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

i'd keep them near the water, if it were me, especially in the winter. the minerals & salt are supposed to encourage them to drink water. (salt especially) you may be able to control it by not putting alot of it out at 1 time. if you already have them out & you arent seeing them standing around & eating alot of it, you should be good to go.

the problem i had w/ my milk cow was that she just gorged herself on it :rolleyes: & it made her constipated! constipation can kill a cow.... she was getting grain in addition to hay & the block, so it may have been a combination of things.... if you have this problem, you'll know it bc the cow will belch alot & not eat at all & the way you remedy it, is go buy some milk of magnesia. give that to them for 3 days. (a whole bottle a day, which is a chore in itself!;):p)

you should have seen me at the grocery store buying MOM. it was on sale & i walked out of there w/ 5 bottles of it. LMAO!!:D:D that store was SO BUSY & everyone was staring at me like i was crazy.... GOOD TIMES.:D
  10. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

I guess I have to say NO! But thanks for the edumucation! :D
  11. Pistolenschutze's idea of a "protein tub." :D;):p

[​IMG]
  12. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I thought Protein Tubs was a member that hasn't posted here in a while...