Proud new owner of a marlin 981ts

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by big steve, Jul 19, 2010.

1. big steve

big steve New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    I went to a gun shop near me today because I felt like getting a new rifle I got there and loved the marlin 981ts it's great looking and real accurate with that micro groove barrel couldn't be happier.

2. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    NorthWest Florida

3. big steve

big steve New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Thank you very much for your input and advice. And you really like that rail?? I might have to look into buying one its a bit pricey though.

4. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    NorthWest Florida
    Best $37.87 you'll spend :)

It allows you to use Quik-Change scope rings, so you can switch scopes back & forth.

Say you've got a really nice Leupold or some ungodly expensive scope...you can only shoot one rifle at a time ;)
    It makes a fast change easy...especially if you keep range books on each rifle so you can reset the scope fast ;)

Also, it's a MUCH more versatile platform than the 3/8'ths rail...not to mention being extremely stable.

Also gives you a wee bit more height, which makes it easier to put scope covers on ;)

There are only a few things needed to Hot-Rod any Marlin Bolt-action...
    A good scope & mounts are one...
    Bipod & sling are another...
    Boyd's Laminate Stock & a Pillar-bedding job are perennial favorites...
    Trigger Job, or RifleBasix Trigger, if needed, to put it around 3 pounds...
    Do the above, it'll shoot better than you can.

Folks wonder why I use .22WMR on Coyote...my Marlin 25MN with the above pimping drops 'em out to 150 yards,
    no problems.

Also, like a Hot Rodded car...you'll spend a few bucks to get premium performance...
    although with Marlins, it's MUCh less expensive to do, because you don't have to change much :D

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio NRA Member
    That scope mount rail is NICE! And agree, for that price, you cant go wrong!

6. big steve

big steve New Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Yes I agree it is nice I am going to have to look into it.