PT1911/Taurus

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Bill, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Bill

Bill New Member

Read lot's of Internet comments on the Taurus PT1911. Seems like there are not too many out there amoung shooters. The comments by folks that haven't seen it are typically negative relating to previous Taurus quality control . Those that have shot it or handled it seem more positive. Got mine for $529 yesterday. Put 100 rounds thu it today. I'm no expert especially on 1911's but this gun feels good in the hand and shoots sweetly. I've read that some have measured 6lbs of trigger pull. Mine is light and I think closer to 3-4 lbs. The trigger has a smooth crisp release. First impression is that this gun is a worthy entry into the pricey 1911 world.
    Bill
  2. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I don't have any personal exsperience with them but from what I hear the are good for the prise and a good all around piece
  3. omegapd

omegapd New Member

I read a few forums and it seems that they pretty much just hit the shelves. Only in the last 2-3 weeks have I been reading about people actually having them instead of waiting for the LGS to get one...

I've had good luck with Taurus in the past (own a 92 and a 608 eight shot .357 revolver) and they always went bang. I'm not sure if they could take a ton of abuse, but I don't want to abuse them in any case...

Please keep us informed on how it holds up. Sounds like you enjoy it.

EW
  4. Bill

Bill New Member

Second trip to the range with the PT 1911. My favorite paper puncher is my S/W .38 special with 8 3/8 barrel. I always shoot it best. Today however I did better with the PT 1911. Nice tight groupings, no failures of any kind. I'm starting to really like this gun.
    Bill
  5. eabraden

eabraden New Member

New to this Forum. I am looking to purchase a Taurus 1911 and needed some additional information. Are there different models with different features ?? Hope to hear from someone soon about this topic. Thanks :D
  6. Bill

Bill New Member

To my knowledge there are two models, one stainless the other has a dark parkerized type finish on the slide and blued frame.
    Bill
  7. southernshooter

Welcome EAbraden
  8. stevejc

stevejc New Member

FYI

I am a Taurus Rep. The only 1911 that will be seen this year are blue in 45ACP.
  9. southernshooter

What about the Stainless ones in the new Taurus catalog
  10. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Hi Steve,

I've been a Taurus owner (and defender) for a number of years and own/have owned several Taurus handguns. When the PT 1911 was first introduced at ShotShow 2005I immediately was on the list with my lgs to get the first one he got in. That was about a year and a half ago. He still hasn't been able to get ONE PT1911. I realize they only were finally released earlier this year, but he's called his distributor, Taurus, I've called Taurus, still nothing.
    This isn't some guy doing mail-order business; it's a full time gun store. I realize that we're way up here in Maine and we don't move the biggest volume of product, but any idea when we might get a PT 1911 up here?

Thanks.
  11. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Sounds like another TFF member's experience with trying to get a Taurus Lightning.

From what I can tell from this admittedly small sampling, Taurus has some distribution problems.
  12. kansas45

kansas45 New Member

I bought my PT1911 in mid-august. It is a very well built firearm. The part's fit is great. I didn't care for the plastic grips & changed them to Houge 1911 palm swell grips. The trigger pull was 7lbs but felt lighter to me. I had my gunsmith adjust it to 4lbs & it works good. The Heine Figure 8 sights are good, but I will probably put some night sight's on it (old eyes,you know). I have put 2000+ rounds through the gun without any problems. I used it to shoot my very first USPSA match this past Sunday & the pistol preformed flawlesly. The finish is wearing off @ the front of the slide from being holstered & drewn many times. I am not too worried about it but if it gets too bad TAURUS will refinish it under warrenty. All in all, I am very happy with the gun & recomend it to anyone that is interested.
  13. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Well, it's now mid-November and I finally got my PT1911 yesterday! Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet; hope to this Sunday, but the trigger is light and crisp; the action smooth, fit and finish very good. Will see what it shoots like this weekend weather permitting.
    [​IMG]
  14. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

I've said it before, in many other threads, but this 1911 - when you consider I paid $515.00 for it - is simply an amazing gun. It's sweet to shoot right out of the box, and it's as tight as 1911's that sell for twice the price.

If quality AND value are important to you, the Taurus PT 1911 is a terrific choice. I'm a big fan.

Pat Hurley
  15. csimp3

csimp3 New Member

i think that is gonna be my first 1911, i got my taurus 24/7 pro .40 cal and i love it, i wouldnt hesitate to buy another taurus, and as soon as i get the cash together, im getting this one, thats a great lookin gun, hopefully it shoots as good as it looks
  16. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I'm the one that waited over a year and a half for the Taurus Thunderbolt (Colt Lightning clone). My experience was the same: on waiting list, no info from Taurus, finally available, got mine. I am impressed with my rifle. I need to get the right bullets for it as the Hornady XTP and conical shapped cast lead bullets didn't feed 100%. Now if I can just get National Bullet to send me my order that was placed 3 weeks ago. This gun requires patience, I guess.

In the last six months before gettin the gun I was able to query the Taurus factory rep at a shooting fair in the Los Angeles area and he gave me good delivery info that was correct. I don't know what the problems were and some might have been California laws related (so said the rep) but it just may be the norm to SHOT Show announce a product and it take 18 months for it to get to the market place (??). I also think "friends of Taurus" get guns first as some of the Thunderbolts were being discussed as delivered guns on the Internet 6 months before I got mine. Residents of other states also got theirs before California. And two months before I got mine I was offer a "pre-production" gun (one of six the dealer had). Where he got them he would not say. I declined because pre-production anything can mean problems might still be lurking in them.

Any Taurus clone (and a bunch of their rifles and pistols are clones) will never be as good as the originals but I can not afford the orignials or in the case of the Lightning the other reproductions, so the Taurus will have to be better than nothing. So far it looks to be well made with good fit and finish. With the right ammo it may turn out to be accurate enough. I bought it for its look and if the accuracy is just OK then I'll be plenty happy.

LDBennett
  17. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

I have owned a couple of the Taurus revolvers that were really great guns, especially what I paid for them....went bang every time I pulled the trigger.

I started looking for a BUG/part time primary CCW in 45 acp, since that is my primary carry caliber. I saw the PT-145 Millennium Pro and decided to give it a try. WOW what a gun. 10+1 45acp, decent DA trigger, that consistiently gets smoother, and extremely accurate. I have over 4000 rounds through that little hand cannon and it has never missed a beat. So when my son wanted his first 1911, I decided to take a long look at the PT-1911. My dealer allowed me to disassemble the gun and look it and its components over. I have been a 1911 fan for over 30 years, and know what to look for in a quality 1911. This gun is realy done right. Machining marks are at a minimum, no slop in the internal parts, and the barrel locks up tight. Trigger is really nice and having all the extra components for the price I paid for it was an extra bonus. Slide to frame fit is as good as any non-custom 1911 I have ever owned. I do have one complaint though....the plastic grip panels. They will be replaced with an extra set of checkered goncalo alves I have from another gun. I am really anxious to find out what kind of accuracy potential this gun will have. I am already planning a shooting session at the range right after the holidays are over, with my son, against my Wilson Combat CQB.

tex
  18. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

tex45acp:

Since you own other 1911 clones and understand 1911 parts and pieces, based on your takedown of your new Tauras PT1911, how Mil Spec is the internals of the Taurus PT1911? Will the Taurus take all the parts and pieces offered for Mil Spec (what ever that means and I really mean exact Colt copies) 1911's? Can the Taurus be fit with all the accessories that fit all the other 1911's out there now?

I know it already has a bunch of custom parts included but if I want to use a different trigger or hammer or trigger/sear/safety spring or recoil spring or grips, will the Colt 1911 parts fit?

LDBennett
  19. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Since I first posted on my PT1911 in mid November, having just gotten it, I've had a chance to take it to the range. Well worth the wait! FMJ, JHP, rapid, slow fire, whatever. Never a hiccup. Gotta' love it!
  20. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

LD,

When I visually inspected the gun, I bought for my son, everything "looked" like any other 1911 part. The slide is similar to the 80 series Colts, having the firing pin block button. Frame internals, (i.e. sear, hammer, strut, disconnector, trigger and springs) "looked" like any other 1911's. I did not have a chance to dimensionally compare them to the other 1911's . I am not sure if the pins and their holes are made to inch or metric dimensional sizes, so I cannot vouch for interchangability with other 1911 parts. The firing pin, full length guide rod, ejector and extractor all "looked" like standard off the shelf parts.

My only complaint was the plastic grip panels the gun came with. I replaced them with a spare pair of Walnut, double diamond, checkered grip panels, I had from a Springfield Loaded that I replaced grips on a year or two ago. I also replaced the hex head grip screws with slotted screws that came with the grips. The only modification I had to make to the grips was to grind a little relief at the top rear for clearance of the ambi thumb safety, when in the unlocked or down position. The new wood panels really dressed the gun up and my son just about did a backflip when he saw it.

tex
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2006