puchasing ar15 lower in northern iowa

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by jmflores66, Mar 20, 2009.

1. jmflores66

jmflores66 New Member

iv tried to purhase a ar15 lower reciever but they told me i need a hand gun purchasing permit because its an assualt weapon is this true?i find this hard to believe and what are federal laws for purchasing?
  2. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

If the lower is the part with the serial number, then it counts as a firearm under BATFE rules. BATFE generally considers the reciver of a rifle to be the actual "firearm" part of the weapon.
  3. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Up until changes were made late last year (AFAIR October) in the BATFE interpretation of the legal rifle vs. pistol status of a AR-15 lower, the purchaser declared on the BATFE Federal 4473 form whether the lower was going to be used for a pistol or a rifle build. Thus in the past at age 18, you could go in and declare that the stripped lower was for a rifle build and purchase it. After this most recent BATFE interpretation and 4473 form change, a stripped AR-15 lower is now categorized as 'Other' and due then to the fact that the lower could be legally used for a pistol build, a pistol permit is required in those jurisdictions that require them. So, IMHO they are not snookering you by requiring a pistol permit to purchase a stripped AR-15 lower.