Puma PPS5 22LR 16" carbine with 50 rd drum

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by icm856, Jun 14, 2009.

1. icm856

icm856 New Member

I just picked up this Puma PPS5 22LR 16" carbine. It has a shrouded bull barrel and a wood stock. It's made in Italy. It's supposed to be patterned after the German MP-29 Schmeisser SMG. However I think it looks more like the Russian PPSH. It seems to be of solid quality construction. Mine came with the 50 round drum magazine, but there are 10, 15 and 30 round stick magazines available. One draw back is the price of the magazines, there not cheap and with this being an import, I don't see the prices coming down. The price of the rifle was $529 before sales tax and transfer charge.

Anyway I picked it up a few weeks ago and have just now got a chance to do a little shooting with it.

I took three different kinds of ammunition with me today, CCI mini mags 40gr ccrn, American Eagle 40gr solid LL and Aguila 30gr ccrn. The first drum I loaded up with the American Eagle ammo. The 5th round I fired failed to eject and then somewhere around the 20 or 25th round I had the same problem. The next drum I loaded up with the CCI mini mags and all fired with no problems. I then tried the Aguila and it cycled with no problems or malfunctions as well. So then a loaded up another drum of the American Eagle and this time it cycled without malfunctioning.

I let three other people shoot it that were at the range today and in all I think I put around 800 rounds through it with only the two malfunctions I mentioned. As for accuracy, I really wasn't trying my best but I had no problems with keeping 4 inch groups at 25 yards (with iron sights standing). It was very fun to shoot and the shrouded bull barrel stays pretty cool even under rapid fire.

Here are a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Well thats a sweet looking item and I know its gotta be fun!
  3. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

It also looks like early Berretta SMG`s. Saw these advertised late last year and you are correct on both factors of cost. But the little MP5 .22 cloned import is also pricey. But both seem to be well built for the price and the fun factor seems high.
  4. 45nut

45nut New Member

How could that not be fun. :eek: It looks cool too. :D :D
  5. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

These are a follow up to the old bingham rifles. I have been watching these to see if the same problem occurs as with the binghams. Some would call it a problem others would call it fun. The binghams had issues with letting off the full drum once they got a little wear on them, unsafe to say the least but once you came to expect it sure was fun.
    http://207.234.249.73/gunfax/rimfires/ppscopy.htm

By all means keep us posted. I really wanted to replace mine but the cost of the original binghams made it so it was just not going to happen.
  6. fbauer1937

fbauer1937 New Member

Hello,
    I also just purchased a Puma Wildcat PPS5 with the 30 round stick magazine.
    Is there a secret to loading the magazines or is it just going to always be a sore finger and thumb producer. Unlike the the S&W 15-22 which I also own, the Puma magazine has no button to hold the follower down. Also, is there anyway to make the bolt stay back for cleaning?

Thanks for any further info on this gun.

Fred