Pump Loading Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Phildo, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Phildo

Phildo New Member

I have an older 12 Guage pump. Hadn't been used or cleaned in years. Took it apart cleaned and re-assembled. Now you have to pump it hard to get it to eject and re-load. If you do not pump it hard, it will eject the shell from the barrel but will not re-load. It seems to me that the problem is with the magazine spring. The one in it now is original and has virtually no resistance if you manually compress it. Should this be the problem?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Sounds very possible. Could also be some slight blockage in the magazine tube. If you pump gently the shell is not pushed (by the weak magazine spring) past the blockage, but if you pump vigorously, the act of pumping helps to "jump" the next shell past the blockage.

How's that for some long-distance diagnostics? :D
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

shell stops out of range will cause it also. Most pump guns have 2. The main stop may be protruding to far and dragging on the side of the shell. Pumping harder will force the shell stop away. What kind of shotgun?
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

sounds to me like crud under the shell stops causing them to bind