pump, semi or select action?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by whitefeather, May 21, 2003.

1. whitefeather

whitefeather New Member

Just wanted to get some insight on how people felt about those 3 diff. shotguns...
  2. Boomatic

Boomatic New Member

Whitefeather

Hey whitefeather...welcome to TFF!

I am an O/U man myself...for most thimgs. But I do own a Browning A5 and a 870 pump. If I could only have 1 for defense purposes, it'd be the 870, hands down. Sportwise I prefer the O/U.

Just depends on the application, I guess!
  3. warpig

warpig Guest

Welcome to TFF

I love SXS shotguns. My favorite is a BSS. Even got a Stevens .410 SXS and a Savage 311 SXS with screw in choke tubes.

For an auto my favorite is my Browning A5

For a pump I use a Nova but my favorite is the Ithaca 37. Which I think is the smoothest pump gun ever made.
  4. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

My favorite is a 12 SxS. I do own both an 1187 and an 870, left handed models, in 12 also.

I am decidedly a lever mand, though, and wish there were a large bore shotgun in that type action.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

First off, Welcome to TFF
    For the shotgun stage in a three-gun match, I use an 1187. For trap and skeet, an O/U. I have a pump around here somewhere, if I could only find it. Never could get used to an SxS. A SPAS, while it looks "bad" is just too darn heavy, and cumbersome. Now if I could find a street-sweeper???? :D
  6. warpig

warpig Guest

I wis I had a left handed shotgun:(

Marlin there are the old Browning designed Winchester shotguns that are lever action. A freind of mine has a 10ga.
  7. whitefeather

whitefeather New Member

:) I remember when I first saw that gun in Jurassic Park, I was just a kid, I was like that is one sweet looking gun. And I wanted one since...at least just to show off. I remember the first time I went shooting with my brother in law (hes a beretta man) there was a spas 12 for sale and i picked that thing up...it was like lead. I can only imagine shooting it :D , one day i will purchase me one.
  8. bigboom338

bigboom338 New Member

Bennelli SBE, one gun for all occasions. But I still have a blast with grandpa's old 97 winchester.
  9. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

Whatever floats yer boat!

I like an over/under for game. I actually like a side by side but I shoot better with an o/u. Doubles are easier to clean and I have never found the third/fourth/fifth round in the magazine to be much of an advantage. I could see where it would be a plus for doves but they are considered songbirds in my state.

For defensive use, the pump gun gets my vote. You can keep it ready with an empty chamber and jack a round down the pipe without taking your hands off the forend and wrist of the piece. A semi-auto requires you to keep the chamber loaded--while stored--or to work the action with one hand while holding the gun with the other. I think this system creates too much potential for a bobble in an emergency situation (i.e., when you really need a shotgun). Semi-autos have caught on with LE entry teams but their situations are different from the homeowner who's awakened by an intruder at 3:am.

The semi-auto/pump types like the SPAS just seem needlessly complex. You can only use one action type at a time. So, just pick one.