Pump shotgun for skeet and trap

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by vito, May 26, 2008.

1. vito

vito New Member

Hi, I would appreciate your appinions on use of pump action shotgun fot skeet and trap shooting. I have never tryed it and thinking it could be a trouble with follow up second shot. I'm planning to buy a shotgan as universal as possible(could be used for competition, hunting, and home defence). I also have not so much trust in self-loading, or may be I'm wrong.
  2. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

There's nothing wrong with a semi-auto, you just have to maintain it a bit more.

Under Mossberg they have a combo field and security for under $400 (click the link and look for "Combo" then (field/security)). Unfortunately, I don't think you'd want to use it for competition without spending thousands of dollars as competition guns are generally no cheap.

Mossberg.
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=3&display=specs

I'm thinking, for myself, one of these.
    http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=32&display=specs
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
  3. vito

vito New Member

4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I shoot a pump action Remington Model 870 for sporting clays outings. I have never shot trap or skeet in a formal range setting. I thought on the first attempt at sporting clays shooting that my follow-up shots were disturbed due to the pump action, so I tried shooting a Remington 1100 auto on the next outing. I found out that it's not the gun, but my poor shooting skills.... :D I don't see anything wrong with a pump gun for skeet or trap. It's not ideal for follow-up shots but if you're like me, the gun is much more accurate than the shooter...
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Back when I was in junior high and high school, I used an 870 to shoot trap in the local league but had a chance to try out a few of the other guys' guns too. Still use one whenever we get together to informally bust a few pigeons. I never had a problem with follow up shots or doubles. Being a small town and farming area, it was pretty much run-what-ya-brung. There weren't a lot of guys shooting high-dollar guns, most of us shot field grade guns but some had specialized trap guns too. There were a few guys shooting Red Label, Superposed, 3200, and a couple of Weatherby O/Us but most of the folks used a pump or semi.

My experience is that once you get the action down you'll have a pump action cycled before you recover from the recoil or swing to the second bird anyway.

Never shot formal skeet so I couldn't say about that game.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The pump shouldn't be a hinderance for skeet. The key is not to rush as you have much more time than youy first think. Stay with it and your scores will climb.
  7. vito

vito New Member

Thanks so much for the reply, so I think Benelly pump is the way to go.
  8. preludese111

preludese111 New Member

Absolutely-- I shoot skeet and trap very well with a Benelli Nova pump. It's a great value. I love it and I manage to get the second shot off just fine:)
    I've shot the Remington 870 too, but I feel like the Nova is so much better quality. It feels like a much more well-put together gun. Just my opinion though.
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

My opinion will ride the fence a little...

I started out with an 870 for skeet and did "okay" with it, but they tell me I shoot fast, meaning that regardless of whether I hit or miss, I have plenty of time for recovery on that second shot...With that said, I did buy an over and under for several reasons, I hand-load so I want my brass, even if I didn't I'd still clean up my area after taking my shots which slowed things down a little and also just added one more thing to think about. So no more bending over 25 times per game, or having to pump...I love my O/U for skeet, but prefer the old 870 for hunting.

Crpdeth
  10. vito

vito New Member

Thanks so much for your replys. The idea is to combine home defence and sporting shotgun in one. I'm not 100% trusting autoloders because they can jum, over and under have only 2 shots so pump has to be the way to go.