Purchased this L. Ghriskey Musket today in Gettysburg

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by OneFatCat, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

OFC, no offense intended bro but you seem all too willing to believe something a dealer tells you just because he's a dealer. A dealer will tell you anything to get you to buy something. Some are more scrupulous than others but theres a whole lot of them that will lie their butts off to sell you something. There are probably almost as many C.W. fakes out there than there are the real thing. There's more C.W. fakes than fakes from any other part of American history. If you're going to buy C.W. relics you need to know exactly what you're looking at and don't listen to any stories associated with it if it has no provenance to back it up.
  2. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

And more Confederate fakes than Union fakes.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Are you guys trying to tell me my Uberti SAA with "CSA" on it is a fake? It is just like the one John Wayne carried in that Civil War movie. And I have the M1 carbine Grant carried at Gettysburg and I know it is authentic, because it has his initials, U.S., right on it.

Seriously, OFC, it looks to me like the eagle's right wing starts above the "I" in Ghriskey and goes up and out toward the hammer, coming to a point above the "H" and the "R". The presence of the overstamped eagle would be consistent with the indication that Ghriskey used old or reject parts, but that style of eagle would be wrong for the 1812 era. The conversion, far from being either well done or an armory conversion is neither. The hammer is crude even by the standards of contract conversions and was certainly never made at Springfield or Harpers Ferry. It looks like the unfinished cast hammers sold by Dixie. Further, it does not meet the nipple squarely, something necessary in a serious conversion. Could it be Confederate, done by some southern gunsmith? Yes, but there is no proof of that and in the antique business, guns or other objects, a "story" is just that, and of no value.

(Yep, Bullshoot, I know what a Bannerman special is; they tend to blossom every summer in the antique shops around here.)

Jim
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  4. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Good grief Jim, Single Action Armys weren't around until 1830 or so, long after the CW--don't you know anything? And I really find it hard to believe Grant carried an M1 carbine at Gettysburg--I have pictures of him holding the Garand.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

You would be surprised at how many guys I tell that story to who don't even know that Grant wasn't at Gettysburg, being a bit busy at Vicksburg at the time. And didn't the Civil War end in 1776 or something? I have to ask a high school student, maybe the same one who told me the Revolutionary War was against France.

Jim
  6. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I've looked and looked at that pic and I still don't see an eagle......Now a bat I see but no eagle.
  7. OneFatCat

OneFatCat New Member

***NEWS FLASH FREDERICK MD*** I sold this rifle today for $850.00 and bought a model 1834 Horse Pistol ...Ill post pics in a new thread.

OFC
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Talk about coming up roses! I'm glad things worked out.

Jim
  9. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Way to go OFC!
  10. geds

geds New Member

Sounds more like fertilizer from manure! Nice job!