Push daggers.

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Mr. Nameless, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Am I the only one that carries push daggers for up close defense?
  2. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

Well I have a set of two thats sheath goes on you belt sideways. So far they have been very useful to me in many situations. Mainly on the feild, but I still carry them everywhere.
  3. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

I would but the laws here are abit strange when it comes to knives and the mood of the cops.
  4. Ursus

Ursus Active Member

I would carry one, if I could find it here
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    It appears that you might be! Here in Texas we are limited to 5 1/2" on the blade. I have other knives that I use for hunting sometimes that have longer blades, but my Gerber Big Rock with a 5" blade is what I usually carry. It is only a secondary back up to the .45 on my hip. If I die in a fight they won't put on my tumbstone, "He brought a knife to a gunfight".
  6. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I have a Cold Steel Voyager folder I like for close carry. I think Cold Steel still makes a push dagger or two, I know they used to.
    Push daggers are particularly good for those not specifically trained for knife fighting. Just punch away like you would in a fistfight. Martial arts training (including, especially perhaps, boxing) magnifies the result.
    I've had pretty intensive training and practice for knife combat, and I'd still like one. Just haven't had the cash in hand and the knife available at the same time.
  7. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

8. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Nameless, that's exactly what I was thinking of. They also made a larger one, with a 3 finger grip, knife came out between index and second finger.
    I see "cheapies" all the time, but the thing about push daggers that worries me most is the extreme narrowing of the metal between blade and grip, and I'm not risking my life on a pot-metal Pakistan knockoff. I'll stick with Cold Steel or better whenever I can.
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Fred Perrin PPF (Philippe Perotti)

A more economical compromise can be a Benchmade.

I don't like push knives very much because they have no real utility function. Any good folder can do what a push dagger does, is as concealable, but actually has functionalism.
  10. jondar

jondar New Member

Strange you would ask. This one arrived in the mail this morning, I ordered it Friday arrived following Monday. Exemplerary service from bladeplay.com.
    Twenty dollars delivered. Made in China. Looks like full 3/16" steel with micarta handle panels. Perfect grinds. I wanted something to carry in the truck and this looks ideal for that. They have knives of any price you want to pay, but I think this is a bargain.

Attached Files:

11. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

I guess you aint the only one. I like custom knives and I like Gil Hibben designs. I purchased this on a while back

Attached Files:

12. jondar

jondar New Member

Ursus - A Salvadoreno friend of mine has sent me three knives in the last four or five years. Two of them he says are examples of what the "working man" carries there. The brand on both is IMACABA/TIBURON. He says they are made in El Salvador. Both stainless. One is a 10" blade and the other an 8" blade. Both look like they're made for heavy work. Wonder why they don't have push daggers there?
  13. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I never had much use for a push dagger, but I do like the picture of big ugly's knife.
  14. Popeye

Popeye New Member

15. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

strange laws here

(6) "Illegal knife" means a: (A) knife with a blade over five and onehalf
    inches; (B) hand instrument designed to cut or
    stab another by being thrown; (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard; (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or (F) spear. (7) "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily
    injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument. (a) A person commits an offense if he
    intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife. Switchblade illegal.