1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Put one in layaway

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by RunningOnMT, Apr 14, 2010.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Well I put a deposit on one I couldn't refuse. Will pick it up on the first. It's a Ruger SP101 .357 mag, 2.2 inch barrel with Crimson Trace grips.

I went back and fourth on this one as it was kind of expensive for a snubby. I still want a GP100 but this one I think will be perfect for cc.

I've never shot a 2" .357 mag and it may turn out to be too much to handle so might have to stick with .38 spl ammo. Anyone have experience shooting a mag in such a lightweight revolver?
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Nice choice. ;)
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I shoot magnums, occasionally, in a 2 1/2" Model 19 and a 3" Model 65. K frame Smiths. I believe they are lighter than an SP101 (I have both a 4" Model 18, which is a K frame .22, and an SP101 4" .22, and the Smith is much lighter than the Ruger).

It will be loud, and there will be a purty big fireball, but the recoil ain't that bad.
  4. wpage

wpage Active Member

Sounds doable. It will be a flamethrower. That can be a good thing...
    If it hurts too much to shoot put it in the drawer. Guaranteed not to feel a thing dropping bad guys with it!
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    shot a friends at the range a few weeks ago,it was horrible for me also my friend has decided to sell his as soon as possible.felt recoil bad,accuracy bad,i guess im a smith man and always will be.i hope the ruger is good to you old semperfi
  6. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Let me know how it goes.
    I want the 3" SP101. Little more barrel should make it a tad more tolerable, and a bit more accurate.