Put one in layaway

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by RunningOnMT, Apr 14, 2010.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Well I put a deposit on one I couldn't refuse. Will pick it up on the first. It's a Ruger SP101 .357 mag, 2.2 inch barrel with Crimson Trace grips.

I went back and fourth on this one as it was kind of expensive for a snubby. I still want a GP100 but this one I think will be perfect for cc.

I've never shot a 2" .357 mag and it may turn out to be too much to handle so might have to stick with .38 spl ammo. Anyone have experience shooting a mag in such a lightweight revolver?
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Nice choice. ;)
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I shoot magnums, occasionally, in a 2 1/2" Model 19 and a 3" Model 65. K frame Smiths. I believe they are lighter than an SP101 (I have both a 4" Model 18, which is a K frame .22, and an SP101 4" .22, and the Smith is much lighter than the Ruger).

It will be loud, and there will be a purty big fireball, but the recoil ain't that bad.
  4. wpage

wpage Active Member

Sounds doable. It will be a flamethrower. That can be a good thing...
    If it hurts too much to shoot put it in the drawer. Guaranteed not to feel a thing dropping bad guys with it!
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    shot a friends at the range a few weeks ago,it was horrible for me also my friend has decided to sell his as soon as possible.felt recoil bad,accuracy bad,i guess im a smith man and always will be.i hope the ruger is good to you old semperfi
  6. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Let me know how it goes.
    I want the 3" SP101. Little more barrel should make it a tad more tolerable, and a bit more accurate.