Putting Scope onto Ptr MSG91?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Finster, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Finster

Finster New Member

Hi, Im going to be getting the Ptr MSG 91 soon and was thinking about going with a http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightforce-nxs-35-15x56-tactical-riflescope.html but was wondering if any of you had experience with getting into the problem of the scope being in the way of the charging handle, I basically want to know if this one is to big and will get in the way of the charging handle or not?
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

hang tight
  3. cycloneman

I say NO WAY. This is a 6x18x40mm obj lense. Have a look for yourself. You might have 1/4 of an inch play with a 40mm. I dont see a 56mm lense working. I do know a 44mm will work. Now you probably can charge the rifle but I dont see you locking the charge handle in place to hold the bolt open. How is that for an answer?

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      103.1 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      108.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  4. cycloneman

Forgot to mention that is with a ARMS claw mount and best as i can tell high rings. I take it that you have the steel reciever which would require a claw mount? Or do you have the al reciever you just mount rings on. Actually the al reciever is worse.

Na i do see it happening.
  5. Finster

Finster New Member

That's exactly what I thought thanks. I do want this scope really bad with mil/mlr spec and considering just dealing with being unable to lock it, are there any problems to not being able to lock it like the bolt catching/scraping the rounds in the mag or I can just pop in the mag and charge it like an ak. You got any suggestions on scopes good as or better than nightforce with optics with a 44mm lens my price is 2000 limit for the scope and no more. Im checking out swarovski scopes but I dont know much about there durability and quality .
  6. Finster

Finster New Member

Cyclone I didnt read your third post till after I posted its a steal receiver with a welded rail on top it has marks for the claw mount but heard they cant be put on over the welded rail so I would have to go High rings but i read were this guy had a 50mm and that didnt work with high rings so Im not sure I might just have to buy it and see the worst that could happen is that i would have to return it unless places usually dont accept returns on scopes
  7. cycloneman

I have a couple of Bushnell elite 4200 6x24x40 mil dot. Around 500.00. I have had them on rifles that push the 308 to the limit. Many years without a single problem.

I do understand if you want a higher priced brand name, go for it. I like the bushnell elites because of the rain guard. It works! YOu dont know its working till you are in the stand and realise your not dealing with a fogged up scope in the cold. Yea if you breath heavy on the lense you will fogg it up but it works.

Your choice. I can tell you that bushnell is clear as it gets.

Ok what else can i tell you. Oh yea use WARNE steel rings. Dont mess with cheap junk.

That rifle will shoot 2400 to 2600 fps with 165's If you get a mil dot you should get a chrony so you can figure you bullet drop.

I know some people are not gona like this when i say it but I dont recommend federal ammo in that rifle. Remmington or Hornady or load your own to mil speck. Fed commercial ammo is likely to have cases on the long side. Unless it is lake city. Just trust me and please no one give me a hard time about this. If you like federal fine i am not saying anything bad about it just dont use it in these rifles.
  8. cycloneman

Well I know a few gents with these rifles. I have never seen a 56mm obj scope on one. I am sorry to say i seriously dont think it is gona happen. Maybe someone else will chime in with some way of doing it but I dont know of it. BTW that pic was with a true hk91 I also have a springfield 91 clone with the same type of base as you do and i had to put a 40mm on it too.

Nice rifle you got, I dont know if they are still avaliable but you could get mags for that thing for just a couple of bucks a piece.

One more thing you might be interested in. Ever heard of Williams trigger specialties? He installes set triggers for these things. YOu get a trigger with 30 thousants of creep and about 4lb of pull and then you can set the sear and you will get zero creep and about 2 to 2.5lbs of pull. Very nice.
  9. cycloneman

Sorry i didn't answer. I dont know if you will be able to just cock it. Like i said it looks like 1/4 inch of play. Aint much.

Now if you got the sniper version you probably have a nice trigger from the factory so never mind.:D

Now mil surp ammo is also ok i was talking about hunting rounds in my eariler post. I have hunted with these rifles in the past and taken many deer with them. love em
  10. cycloneman

I am about to fall asleep on this keyboard. If you have any other questions i will check back in the morning.
  11. Finster

Finster New Member

Ya im gona have to go back into the cave and do some researching on a scope for this thing. Bushnells are nice I new someone who had one on there hk 91 and was good but Im looking for that clarity of a microscope though. I can notice that was a true hk 91 a mile away with that blue/grey finish on it lol I always wanted an original but right know the msg91 is perfect for the price for what im looking for but maybe someday ill invest in one.

As soon as I get it I have been planning on sending the trigger the same day was thinking contoured trigger cause I think the flat trigger would help out a lot by resting my finger on the base so its more relaxed for a smoother trigger pull, then later when I get a metal lower for the thing (Im just not to much of a fan of the plastic lowers) im gona get it upgraded to either set or wtsg1. Williams trigger job is just the way to go hands down.
  12. Finster

Finster New Member

Also anyone try Lapua match ammo Its like 2 bucks a pop but was thinking of just getting a box to see what kind of group It can achieve.
  13. cycloneman

14. Finster

Finster New Member

I have looked there before but couldn't find much info. But I found this scope which I really like its a swarovski z5 3.5-18x44 bt 4w http://www.opticsplanet.net/swarovski-z5-3-5-18x44mm-bt-4w-riflescope.html do you guys think its too long(14in) and big for it or will high rings do just fine. It has a ballistics turret but I dont think its as good as the zero-stop but it will have to do, anyone have experience with this company and or specific scope
  15. cycloneman

Looks good to me. High will work if i remember correctly. I am sure it will. You can also get ex high or ultra high if you want.

here is a site you might want to look at for rings.

http://warnescopemounts.com/