The Firearms Forum banner

PYRODEX PELLETS

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ruffitt 
#1 ·
Ruffit mentioned these pellets in another thread, and I'd like to know more abt them. I've heard a little, but not much...
Has anyone actually shot them? Do you have to use a filler btw the pellet and the ball? If so, it corn meal really the thing to use (you don't wind up cleaning corn bread out of the works)? Do you get the same smoke and flames :p ?

I'm using a BP flask w/adj nozzle to feed my 1847 Walker, but am not really happy w/the arrangement (the spring loaded nozzle doesn't fit straight into the cylinder and I don't always get consistent loads). I don't really want to get into measuring each load, so am interested in other possibilities...

W/appreciate any input...:confused:

#2 ·
I personally have not heard of anyone using pellets in a pistol but that dont mean much. Also if you have to use a filler that would just add another step therefore I would be uninterested in doing that myself.
If your flask has a measure on the end like I assume it does are you putting your finger over the end and filling the tube and then dumping? if so that should be pretty consistant.
I have not used pellets but I have heard that they take quite a bit of spark to ignite them and also that they will not work in a sidelock. I know that they are mainly used in inline rifles with 209 primers.
The pellets need to be ignited from the rear so they might work in you pistol but in my opinion I would stick to loose powder.

#3 ·
Redneck2000 -

Took me a while to get to your post cause I was out shootin my new Traditions Thunderbolt .45cal in line muzzle loader with 209 primer ignition this weekend.

All I can say is "simply awesome". We were shooting metallic silhouettes out to about 50 yards. The rifle was up to the task and the targets are a bit tattered and torn and shot up from the experience. .

I shot everything from 440 cal patched round balls with 60gr of Pyrodex Pellets to 205gr ballistic tip conicals over 150gr of Pyrodex pellets. The Traditions seemed to like the 205 ballistic tip over 100 grains of pellets better than anything else.

Now, a (small) word on Pyrodex Pellets. As far as I know, these pellets come in ONLY two weights 50 grains and 30 grains, and are available in .45, .50 and .54 caliber. They are a (just under) bore sized cylinder of powder with a hole through the center of the pellet (I assume to facilitate complete ignition of the pellet).

I do not know how the pellets will fire with a #11 percussion cap, but I had absolutely no problems with them going off with the 209 primer.

A couple of things you will find distinctively different between the two offerings is that the 50 grain pellets come in a plastic box, and each pellet has its own "compartment" in the box; while the 30 grain pellets are packaged in a small round bottle and are not separated, just packed in the bottle. The "bottle" of 30 grain pellets is marked "Pistol" and is in .44/.45 caliber, but can be used in conjunction with the 50 grainers.

This difference between rifle and pistol pellets gave me some thought for concern after I bought the 30 grainers. I called Hodgen and spoke with one of their technicians with this concern; telling him a had a new ML rifle and had a question about using the "pistol" pellets in a rifle, specifically to use them in conjunction with the 50 grain pellets. Told him I wanted to try an 80 grain load, a 130 grain loan, or some combination where I would be using pellets of both sizes. His response was that there was absolutely no problem using the two different types of pellets together and could be used interchangeably.

There is no need to use a filter between the pellet and your projectile unless you are using a round ball where you would use normal procedure and use a patch (as in "patch and ball"), and no filler is needed.

Amount of smoke generated from shooting the pellets is about the same as using black powder, but somewhat less (I assume from being "cleaner" burning than BP). Can't comment on the amount of flame, but there did not appear to be any from the 24' tube on my Traditions.

My next venture with my new "toy" will be shooting it exclusively with BP and seeing how it does.

Hope this bit of info helps answer some of your questions.

Regards

#4 ·
BB338 & RUFFITT:

Thx for getting back to me abt the pellets. I probably won't use them, but like the idea of having options. I think my interest came abt when I started getting lazy. Y'know, gotta get the right load of powder in the nozzle, put powder in cylinder, put ball on top of cylinder, seat ball, grease cylinder (all of this 5 times each),
put caps on nipples. Then--only then-- shoot the danged gun.

When I start getting impatient with the process, I have to remind myself that's why I bought CAP & BALL revolvers! I might, though, try some of the 30gr pellets in the Walker sometime just for the experience.

My mention of a filler between powder and ball is to make sure there's no air space in there (I hear that's a bad thing). I'm not sure everything is being "tamped" into place or if the loading lever is just reaching the end of its travel. Guess I need to do some measuring to check that out.

I've not gotten into the long guns yet, but am mightily attracted to some of the repro Pa rifles I saw at Dixie Gun Works a few weeks ago. My new son-in-law has an inline BP rifle, but says he can't get it to shoot straight and is experimenting w/loads, etc.. Must be a problem w/the process or something, cause he's deadly w/everything else in the cabinet.

Again, thx for getting back to me. I'm going rambling tomorrow and w/be out of pocket for a week or two. However, I'll check in whenever I get the chance.

:)

#5 ·
RN2K, I also like the looks of the Pa. rifles but I went with a 50 cal Lyman plains rifle and I recomend them highly. It is a very accurate rifle and I love the lines and looks of them, I just picked up a 54 cal Hawken. I hate the brass but the gun was to cheap to pass up. I havent had time to go out and shoot the crap out of it yet but I am gonna try this weekend.

G
#6 ·
I have not shot the pellets, but a friend tried them when they first came out. Using a wad between the pellet and the ball works just fine. Remember, the ball for a revolver press-fits into the cylinder without a patch. Using a wad also eliminates the need to over-grease the cylinder mouth.

Pops

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.