Q for Country Gunsmith

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ysacres, Nov 4, 2004.

1. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

I had a 280 round go through my Rem 700 SS DM 7mm, Luckley for me ,just a blody nose from shredded brass when the case blew up.
    Now the mag wont feed, if I hold pressure on it, it will chamber a round, otherwise the bolt face misses the cartrage,
    Q could this be the clip, or could I have damage to the resses in the stock where the clip engauges?
    Also could that have bad affects on rifling (lands and groves)

thanx CG
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Wow.

Obviously, the clip is no longer latching high enough. Is it locking in place at all? Could be a lot of things, including bent bottom metal.

I doubt it damaged the rifling, but it almost certain that the chamber is scratched/scarred. Maybe to the point of causing extraction problems, maybe not. Also, since the .280 Rem and 7mm Mag have different sized bolt faces, I would check to see if the bolt has been damaged.

Best bet is to take it to a gunsmith and have everything checked over.
  3. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

Yes the clip locks in, but has about 1/16 in play up and down, Just enough to not pick up the cartarge.
    The bolt face apperes OK.
    I have fired a few rounds and they seem to eject OK.
    I will purchase a new clip, if it does not fit properly then, as you say "bent bottom metal" = scrap iron for the Smitty to figure out

THX CG

I need glasses