Q. RE:Constitutional Authority of the President

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Mar 1, 2011.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

After getting an email from Rand Paul about the Obama administration refusing the M1 rifles South Korea wants to return to the U.S. for distribution to American citizens, I'm left with a question.

Exactly what are the limits of presidential authority when it comes to policy affecting American citizens? I'm getting real tired of having my freedoms restricted by ignorant arbitrary rulings made by the likes of Eric Holder, Hillary Clinton, and bureaucracies like the BATFE.

I can at least accept on principle, bills passed by congress whether I agree with them or not, because the legislature is the elected representative of the people. It seems like the executive branch with all of their subordinate agencies have got their own little dictatorship going, and we the people must obey. The more numerous these agencies become, the more we become an oligarchy rather than a constitutional republic.

It's infuriating to me when people like Clinton who are so ignorant on the subject of firearms, have the power to direct or influence policies directly affecting all of us.

So can any of you constitutional scholars out there enlighten me as to exactly what areas of governance require legislative approval and what may be made by executive edict?
  2. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I dont know exactly what the authority limits of a standing President but I can only assume that the authority of The Messiah is great.
  3. Juker

Juker New Member

4. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

In some ways the question is moot. President Obama, (and many members of his administration) are on record declaring "Presidential Powers" - via the many loopholes created over the past decades - trump extant public law. Today Obama's USAG, Holder stated his decisions on the Philadelphia NEW Black Panther case superceeded those of Congress' Civil Rights Commission brief.
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/0311/Eric_Holder_Black_Panther_case_focus_demeans_my_people.html

More directly upon the thread, the Obama Administration's current position is completely contrary to historical practice, past ATF regs and law. The arms offered by South Korea are ancient, dating back to WW2. As such they differ only in source and mechanism from other axis/allies arms currently legal in the marketplace. Ammunition for these arms is scarce and expensive in consequence. Hardlly the sort of "assault weapons" any terrorist group would choose.......Particularly when so many much better modern weapons with a ready supply of ammunition are readily available.........

But, then, none of the "One's" executive decisions have ever had much connection to reality or common sense....... >MW
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  5. Gun Geezer

Gun Geezer Well-Known Member

The limits of presidential authority are how much we the people will stand for before we exercise our constitutional mandate to alter or abolish it!
  6. whirley

whirley Member

During Obama's campaign, when being interviewed by "The Great OZ" Oreilly on Fox network, Obama said that he felt uncomfortable with the Constitution "Because it kept Washington from doing the things they felt should be done" The Constitution was designed to do exctly that, restrict government. The "Great OZ" never questioned Obama about that statemnet. After the eelection, with a supermajority in both houses of Congress, Obama said "We won the election and we're going to do whatever we want to do" Of course jamming through unread legislation is more important than getting 14% of the population back to work. It is, it is, The heck it is!
    I'm come to the conclusioon that Oreilly is a cowardly LYON.
  7. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Aw, Empty, the {great} one {self-titled} is only trying to organize the community.

without having any qualifications or experience
    :(
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Obozo is outside the law, above the law, and not held to the laws of our land, and I want to know why! Just last week he decided that the law in America was not right, when it come to mariage, and has publicly stated that he will not uphold it! We all know he is not a citizen of this country, every politician in D.C. knows it too, but do you hear anyone up there asking him to prove his citizenship? Everyone in D.C. has gone nuts!!!
  9. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Sadly, far too many of us - incuding regular voters and Congress - have ceded increasing powers to the Executive Office for political gain and sheer laziness. The Patriot Act is the latest - and to my perspective - most egregious example of empowering a single individual with the powers to superceed our Constitution at will....

Having sown the wind, I suspect we're soon to be reapng the whirlwind....... >MW