Quackenbush Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Leeronpoodles, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Leeronpoodles

Leeronpoodles New Member

While cleaning out my Parents home folling my Mother's recent move to Florida I found a Quackenbush pistol which I hadnot seen for more years than I care to remember. I am wondering what it might be worth.

Attached Files:

2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I have seen the rifles with a wire stock,most were wood from what I have seen, go for as much as $250.00 but I can honestly say this is the first pistol I have ever seen. Neat pistol.
  3. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I believe it is a Quackenbush Bicycle rifle with the stock removed.
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Yes, you have their "Bicycle Rifle" model which unfortunately has had the barrel shortened (was originally 12")

There was a bracket in the large empty hole which attached a retracting wire stock on the right side.
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

That would make sense. I never put any thought to the hole.
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

7. Leeronpoodles

Leeronpoodles New Member

I have heard that Quackenbush made some pistols too, are you sure it's not one of them? I haven't seen any pictures of them so I don't know.
    I suppose that the alterations would make it pretty much worthless? If so I just might clean it up and use it for target practice.
  8. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Quackenbush made pistols but they were air pistols
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I think it is a safe bet that the stock was removed when someone realized that the little rifle was illegal under the NFA. When that was, of course, I have no idea. I think the bicycle rifle is specifically named as removed from the NFA and made a C&R, but when there was no C&R category, it would have been illegal unless registered.

Jim
  10. Leeronpoodles

Leeronpoodles New Member

I really don't know just when my Dad got the gun, it could have been his father's. To the best of my knowledge he has not fired it since the late '50s at least.
    Anybody got any idea what it might be worth? How would I go about registering it without a serial number on the gun?
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Is registration required under your state law, or are you outside the US? As far as buying or selling, the dealer just records in his book that the gun antedates the requirement for a serial number and has none. Many millions of guns were made in the US and imported that have no serial numbers, which were not required by federal law until 1968.

Value? Beats me. Check on those auction sites and see what the rifles are selling for, and then divide by two, since the gun is not complete.

Jim
  12. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

There's also the point that the barrel has been shortened, so technically is it not an illegal pistol made from a rifle?
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  13. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Technically it's a short barreled rifle, once a rifle always a rifle. (Once a rifle leave the factory it will always be a rifle) however the original was only 12" under the legal 16". But a 12" Quackenbush is legal to Fuzzy area here.
  14. Leeronpoodles

Leeronpoodles New Member

Thanks for all your help everyone. I know a lot more what I'm dealing with then when I signed on this morning.
    Anyone here know anything about antique muzzle loaders? I have one of those, too I've looked online and haven't been able to match it up with anything. Maybe it's been altered too. I'll post photos in a couple of days if anyone is interested.
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I have had a real problem downloading the C&R list; I may have to just get the printed book. I think those Quackenbush bicycle rifles were specifically removed from the purview of the NFA and declared C&R items. I don't know about that pistol; it could still technically be illegal as a pistol made from a rifle.

Realistically, I don't see some BATFE honcho shouting, "Forget the terrorists buying explosives and AK-47s and hijacking airplanes! We have to crack down on old Quackenbush pistols made from rifles; the security of the nation depends on it."

Jim