Quadriplegic needs help & advice!

Discussion in 'Disabled Hunters & Shooters Forum' started by capper, Aug 18, 2007.

1. capper

capper New Member

hello jcap here--
    I broke my neck in a high school football game in 79'. i'm paralyzed from neck down, some shoulder & arm. I live in Manville, NJ. I always loved and missed hunting for 27 years.--i finally bought a hunting rig which can safely hold any gun, cross bow, or rifle. However, the Manville police say they are going to deny me a gun permit to buy a shotgun. I'm in touch with the new jersey advocacy about my rights. i'm going through the finger prints didn't come out right--to now the FBI didn't send it back yet. However, i was still told that i will be rejected because i phyically can't load, unload, or handle a gun with my hands. But, that's what the $1650.00 shotgun/compound bow/and or rifle holder will do. Also, i figured another new jersey licensed hunter will have to accompany me ALWAYS! If anyone out there has gone through this and has a letter or anything in writing or advice, please HELP! It's not right that I bother a friend or someone about purchasing one for me. I mean they have kids and enough of their own respondsiblities than to worry about where a gun is they purchased. I'm shocked by this and need all the advice & letters I can get. Please, I am asking and call for all hunters to come to my aid. I don't want to spent year 28 watching ESPN hunts. Although, if I have to, I will. 28 long years!
    THANKYOU ALL,
    JCAP
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Look for a Private Message.....
  3. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

You're a courageous person, jcap, and you have my repect. Keep fighting the good fight, and don' let the turkeys get you down. After all, you live in gun unfriendly Jersey, so you really shouldn't be surprised at the trouble you're having.

I know this sounds like flippant advice, but there are other states that are more reasonable, more compassionate, and more hunter friendly than New Jersey is. You might want to look at hunting alternatives elsewhere.

For instance, we have a hunt planned for mid-October in South Carolina and from what I've read, the State and MANY outfitters there cater to people with physical challenges. So don't be dismayed - there are 49 other states and at least 25 of them would likely be eager to help you in your hunting pursuits.

Here's the website of the place we're going... www.southcarolinawhitetails.com.

Keep us informed as to your progress, or lack thereof.

All the best!
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2007
  4. capper

capper New Member

thankyou Pat Hurley for your concerns----jcap

i hope this quick reply goes to you, not used to using the forums or boards.
  5. berto64

berto64 Active Member

jcap,

Welcome to TFF!

Pat Hurley may have the solution to your problem. Joisey will not come to your aid in a situation like this. They don't want anyone to own firearms in the state.

Try somewhere else. Good Luck in your quest.
  6. Gldome

Gldome New Member

we would welcome you here in Texas.
  7. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

See, jcap, I knew opportunity would knock! There's a lot of great people here at TFF.

Also, be sure to Google "hunters with handicaps" and you'll be dazzled with the number of options across the fruited plain. Think big. :)
  8. KJHB

KJHB New Member

JCAP, I am sorry to hear this and think it is adbonimal that is would happen. Doing a little research, this is what I found and why NJ will not issue you the firearm permit.

13:54-1.5 A person will not be issued a permit for the following,

#5 - Who suffers from a physical defect or desease which would make it unsafe for him or her to handle firearms.

Read Section 13:54-1.6
    NJ Medical Doctor can sigh off that this would not affect his ability.

I have included the link so you can read this.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/njac-title13-ch54.pdf

I would also look into the Americans with Disabilites Act and see if you can get them to do anything for you. This sounds like a discrimination case and that the ACLU (sorry) might help you out with your constitutional rights.

I think the ADA will help the most. But it sounds like NJ is just full of it and wanting to screw you over. Best of luck with this.
  9. capper

capper New Member

thanks for advice anyway--capper:cool: :cool: :cool:
  10. capper

capper New Member

Hope i'm typing in the right area--Capper here--GREAT news--i was awarded my FPIC the other day--11/10/09! 2 years ago i wrote for help. Thank you all for helping. If you remember i live in NEW JERSEY! THAT'S RIGHT-- NEW JERSEY, were FPIC are hard to get! I would like to thank--Dave Sullivan of Buckmasters, the NRA and Jenny Samone(hope my spelling close), my lawyer(Ed Kopelson), everyone who sent an e-mail(here are a few off the top of my head--Brandon Renken of Montana, Snake O'Brien Vietnam Vet of Florida, the blind fellow in Georgia, the fellow in Canada(everybody needs somebody sometimes, asking our mayor who packages his meat!), and many more-I would keep typing but my teeth are killing me, i'm typing with a mouthstick--30 years! Love you all and GOOD LOOKING OUT! CAPPER!
  11. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Capper! That's great news! I admire your courage and persistence and glad it paid off for you! Can't believe you typed all of that so well with a mouth stick either.

I hope your dream of hunting again comes true soon. It sounds like you'll have plenty of willing helpers.
  12. MoBowman

MoBowman New Member

Your also more than welcome in Missouri. Many disabled friends of mine are out hunting every year.
  13. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Just dos centavos from an old dinosaur but I am glad you stuck it out where you are at and won out. To many people are ready to pack up at the first sign of resistance and we need people in the restrictive states to stay where they are and fight the system.

Our deal in Wisconsin is concealed carry. I am disabled too but can walk, however standing is hard to do and I walk with cane or crutches depending on good day or bad day so having to take off my open carry rig and stow it and then take it back out and put it back on again is a real pain in the uh-huh. Literally a pain. The fight is slow but eventually good people will win out in the end and I am glad to see you won this particular fight.

Shoot straight, shoot often but mostly keep shooting.
  14. LonglineCharlie

LonglineCharlie New Member

Try contacting the NRA and see if they can help you in any way. Maybe they can rattle New Jerseys cage a little and help you somehow.
  15. combatshop

combatshop New Member

Here in Canada if your application for a firearm license is denied you can request a court hearing. Not sure what your laws are in your state but you may wanna talk to a lawyer. But I would first start with the NRA (very few lawyers work for free)
  16. Blackhawk Dave

Blackhawk Dave New Member

There's disabled hunts down here in Texas. You might email Ted Neugent, the Detroit Madman, who has a large ranch down here. He might be able to give you some names.

BTW, I'd suggest Dragon Naturally Speaking for your text work. Integrates with most programs, and can save your teeth. Cost is about $80, but there's often rebates.
  17. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

There is an outfitter near Glenrock, Wyoming that works mostly with hunters with handicaps. I am sure you can google them up. Wyoming has exception to hunting Regs which allow special needs hunters to shoot from inside a truck or from and ORV.

RC
  18. Lapua Kid

Lapua Kid New Member

Great news , Great news :)

JCap i'm so glad to see you get the rights that belong to you ^5 shame what you had to go threw tho