Quality for $400.00?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by phlmorgan, Jul 14, 2006.

1. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

Got $400.00 to spend and would like some suggestions on what is the best quality gun in that range?

Revolver or Auto.

I own a Ruger P-89 9mm (two tone, full size), Walther P-38, Llamma Max I 45 LF, and (no laughing) Tanfoglio 22 revover.

Family needs to grow a bit, but don't have the Doh Ray Me to adopt a 17 year old Polynesian girl. :D :D
  2. cec

cec New Member

Well for $400 you can get a good used or an ok pistol or revolver. Before making any suggestions, is there a particular use you have in mind or a caliber you want?
  3. phlmorgan

phlmorgan New Member

Not married to any caliber or type. Just something that won't jam and/or break down, and is fun to shoot at the range. Wouldnt mind something that looks good but quality is more important. Might be able to streeeeeech it to $500 but with the current economy can't go over that.

Love the 45 and the 9mm but dont mind trying something different. Just an amature gun collector and I like shootin.

Got lots of rifles and shotguns but just started shooting pistols about a year ago. Kinda got me hooked.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Norinco brought a bunch of pistols into the country, some years ago; they were 1911A1 clones, dimensionally correct, not target guns, but here's a killer fact: The gun shop, at Lackland AFB, looked at several, did metallurgy and hardness testing, and concluded them to be "at least on a par" with the guns the military was then buying from Colt!
    Not a 'finished project', but one heck of a foundation, sometimes at a $300-350 price point!
    As well, the 1927 Argentine contract guns, the early ones, built by Colt, and the later ones, indicating production in Argentina, are often excellent buys; look at the numbers; the barrel, slide, and frame should all have the same number- all were stamped with it, originally. Bought one last year, an Argentine Air Force pistol, for $325
    I think K-Frame Smiths are woefully undervalued, in the marketplace, as well; there are still a lot of 'police trade ins' if one looks, not always real pretty, but many have had the benefit of excellent, factory trained, departmental armorers, and whatever timing, etc problems once existed, were corrected, the right way, long ago; on these, you need to know the gun, and inspect/buy, accordingly. I've bought, and will continue to buy, those that are "right" in condition, and "right" on price, in the $150-175 range, with many shooting an inch, fixed sights, at 25yds, in the condition I bought them. A hint here- ask the seller, or call the PD the gun used to belong to, and ask for the armorer, then ask what their 'duty load' was, for the weapon. Chances are, if the gun was in a responsible armorer's hands, that's the load it shoots best! Two, maybe three, of these are within your budget- how 'bout that ****!
    I hope this gives some direction to your search.
    As another 'free tip', take the weekend to walk thru the gun show, look, on saturday, and wait til late sunday to revisit your 'finds'; if they're still there, and there were bunch of cars in the parking lot, they are over priced! Now's the time to 'low ball' the seller, and see how much the gun means to him! He's driven to the show, paid for his tables, hotel, and meals, and if he's gonna pack up about the same stuff he started with, he's either very rich, or very stupid; neither shows a profit, but panic set in, two hours before close,at many larger gun shows, and a 'selling frenzy' follows; you need to be a part of their 'support group', to buy, really right!
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

A nice Walther either P99 comes in 9mm or .40

I know it's a rimfire but the Walther P22 either one is fun to shoot and a reliable gun
  6. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    I got a great used Ruger P-95 DC 9mm for $250.00 - it loves 124-grainers. And I got this Shooters Arms Manufacturing (S.A.M.) .45 acp for $300.00 and change with shipping off of Gunbroker.com! It's accurate and went head-to-head with a Para Ordanace P-45 for nearly 300 rounds without a hiccup! ;)
    [​IMG]
  7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Well for less than that amount I got a Ruger SP-101 (357mag), also for less a Ruger SP-101 (22LR) and for a litlle more I just purchased a Ruger SP-101 (32 H&R mag).
    There are many new and used firearms out there for that amount.
  8. lead

lead Active Member

I noticed you mentioned 9mm and 45, have you shot a 40S&W yet? I ignored that round for years but found a really nice CZ40P in a shop recently for $325. I bought it and went right to the range with it. It is very accurate, and the 40 caliber round was fun to shoot. The best way to describe it was, a strong 9mm recoil, but it makes a hole in the target like a 45.
    Everyone makes a version of their gun in .40 now, I really like my CZ. It's definitely something you ought to consider.
  9. KyBlaster

KyBlaster New Member

10. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 New Member

around here you can get used smith and wesson .357 stainless revolvers, usually 686 models for that price or a little bit under

i got my Colt King Cobra .357 in stainless for around that amount
  11. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

Taurus PT 24/7 .40cal... two 15 round mags. ;)
    ETA; i got mine for $409 with 2 boxes of ammo!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006