Quality knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Mjolnir, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

I'm looking into getting a boot knife and was wondering which companies manufacture quality knives? I've had quite a few knives over the years but none of outstanding quality. Looking for the kind of knife I will only have to buy once.
  2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

3. CanuckPete

CanuckPete New Member

I have owned many knives, some of toughest are a Gerber and Buck. Bought them over 30 years ago. Look them over they are worth every dollar.
  4. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Look into custom craftsmen, if cost is not a consideration. The world wide intercourse is gravid with these, and much more. If you can wait 4 or 5 years, try Randall Made Knives. If you need a boot knife right away, the catalogs (google boot knives) are overflowing with all sorts of offers.

Knives can be priced anywhere from $3.97 to thousands of dollars, so decide what you really want, and why.

Happy Hunting!

Post Scritum: Buying it once is not really a valid pondering point; more knives have been lost than retained, be it in battle .... whatever. The happy tune here is that if you invest in a quality blade, you will probably not loose it, and pass it along to your eldest son, or ..... whatever. So, my last piece of advice - invest wisely.

http://www.randallknives.com/catalog.php?action=modeldetail&id=30
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  5. pickenup

pickenup New Member

You might send a PM or email to Bill DeShivs.
    He makes some NICE knives, and is a member here.
    His website......
    http://billdeshivs.com/bd1/
  6. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

On the same topic does anyone from Colorado know for sure the legal blade length for a knife? I've heard 3.5" and 4".
  7. pickenup

pickenup New Member

Hope this helps

CRS (Colorado Revised Statue) 18-12-101. Definitions

(f) "Knife" means any dagger, dirk, knife, or stiletto with a blade over three and one-half inches in length, or any other dangerous instrument capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds, but does not include a hunting or fishing knife carried for sports use. The issue that a knife is a hunting or fishing knife must be raised as an affirmative defense.

A couple of other "interesting" notations.

ANNOTATION after CRS 18-12-105. Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon - unlawful possession of weapons.

Defendant could not be convicted of carrying a concealed weapon without the prosecution proving that defendant intended to use this short-bladed knife as a weapon. While the characteristics of an instrument may be an important factor in determining the intended purpose of an instrument, the language of the concealed weapons statute and established precedent establishes that a knife's design does not, by itself, prove that the person carrying it intended to use it as a weapon. A.P.E. v. People, 20 P.3d 1179 (Colo. 2001).

AND....

ANNOTATION after CRS 18-12-105.5. Unlawfully carrying a weapon - unlawful possession of weapons - school, college, or university grounds.

Unless the prosecution can also establish that the person used or intended to use the knife as a weapon, a person cannot be prosecuted under subsection (1) for carrying a knife with a blade less than three and one-half inches in length on school grounds. Even though subsection (1) references the deadly weapons statute, that statute does not specifically define "knife". The term "knife" is, however, specifically limited to a weapon with a blade longer than three and one-half inches in length by § 18-12-101 (1), as applicable to this article. Thus, reading and harmonizing these provisions together, the plain language of both provisions establishes that, for purposes of this section, where the deadly weapon is a knife, it must qualify as a knife under § 18-12-101 (1)(f). People ex rel. J.W.T., 93 P.3d 580 (Colo. App. 2004).

Even though the above quotes are taken directly from the CRS, the legal advise here is worth exactly what you paid for it, and should NEVER be construed as fact.
  8. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

Got to love the less than straightforwardness of laws. Thanks for the info.
  9. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

Any of you ever heard of Muela knives before? Made in Spain.
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

I have the Muela Fury... I don't consider it a real quality knife in general, but it was given to me by a good friend at the time, I doubt I will ever see this person again, so it is a treasure, the blade was roughed up a little bit before I recieved it... It does seem pretty damn durable although it dosen't hold an edge like I would prefer.

Decent pack knife for hunting/camping...

Sorry for the dark pictures, but my other camera has bit the dust.

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

11. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

Got to go with the old axiom "You get what you pay for" here...Like all tools, guns included, quality should be your deciding factor. Buy the best you can afford. I collect knives, and own a couple Randalls, a DeLeon, some Treeman's and lots of Bob Doziers...the Doziers are far and away my favorites. Fantastic quality, an edge that just wont quit, and customer service that is second to none. Bob will make you a knife to your specs, or you can buy his knives at numerous web sites. His current wait time for a true custom is 8mos, but there are hundreds floating around out there for sale. They can be had for as little as 200.00 all the way up. They look plain for a custom (or not, if you want) but fit the hand well, and work all day. I have a master hunter that I have used at deer camp for the last 4 years without sharpening and it will still pop the hairs on my forearm. Look him up.
    Chris
    http://dozierknives.com
  12. Mjolnir

Mjolnir New Member

I picked up a Muela. I have another blade that is made of the same type of steel, 440 surgical steel I think. It takes a while to get the edge on it cause the steel seems to be very hard but once the edge is on it stays on in my experience. For now it will do for gutting fish and such.