Question about .380 lead

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by jboo37, Feb 17, 2012.

1. jboo37

jboo37 New Member

Hello, ran into one today that I had not had before, also tried to look it up and came up with nothing. I made a bunch of .380 fmj's, then went on to make .380 lead. First I could find no information on lead 95 gr. I used the chart for .95r gr. jacketed. When I seated it at .970 the lube was still showing. I then seated it at .960 and it was still showing. I made five to check them but they did not cycle in the gun, it appears to be too flat nosed(big hollow point). So I have not made anymore. Using 2.7 gr. of titegroup..Thx. John.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Where did you get these bullets? Do you know who cast them? And what gun are you trying them in?

What was the cycling issue? Failing to feed, I'm guessing. It may just be that the particular bullet shape isn't suited for use in that particular gun.

Which manuals did you check for data? I have the Lyman 49th, Hornady 7th, and Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook that I can check for you if I need to; I'll just have to run over to my reloading shed.
  3. jboo37

jboo37 New Member

They are Hunters Supply Hard Cast Bullets 9mm (356 Dia) 95 Grain Lead Pentagon
    Hollow Point(copied from Midway). They are for a Taurus TCP .380. They seem as though they don't feed up the ramp, just strike forward and stop. It has what they call a Pentagon shape which I guess is not round enough to feed. Round nose seem to do well and I bought some Hornady critical defense which also ftf. Reload and store bought round nose seem fine. Biggest question I had was the lube still showing...
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

lube shouldnt show. generally you want the lube ring well below the casemouth. seat them down to about .955" and mind that charge. 2.7 gr titegroup is about mid range for a 95 grainer. wouldnt increase it any at all til youve verified its safety.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    If you want to shoot any kind of bullet in your pistol, then see a gun smith. You need to have the ramp worked over. Most that handle ball ammo, might choke on hollow points, or lead bullets.